New Old Stock Coleman Powermate Generator - Sputter/Miss - already tried new carb..

Threads
  • / New Old Stock Coleman Powermate Generator - Sputter/Miss - already tried new carb..
Carburetor was $24 (not OEM...see attached photos), but I have the same problem I had before changing the old carburetor. The generator is 12 years old and I've had similar problems over the years, which I usually fixed by cleaning the carburetor and spark plug and changing the fuel. I did notice that the new carburetor looks a little different than the original on the air filter side [could not find an OEM (part #279-62304-40); only thing available is a replacement for OEM (Mikuni RGX4800)]. I also noticed a small deformity (gouge) in the intake gasket, which I had every intention of changing, but the gasket that came with the new carburetor wasn't the same. It really didn't look that bad though, and I'm doubtful about that being the problem.

I see 2 different carbs in the pictures... Original one is on the left and new on the right... Look at the bowl vent on the old one...... Way different than the new carb..........

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / New Old Stock Coleman Powermate Generator - Sputter/Miss - already tried new carb..
many think these carbs are gravity fed but if one looks closely they will often find a diaphragm or series of channels that use the pulses between strokes to pump fuel into the stream or bowl. Also places carbs like this can fail are some carbs have set metering to comply with EPA and CA-ARB standards. If those are loose or tightened too much it can crush the metering jet tips into the passage. Also I found one article on that engine on a generator where someone found that if the air cleaner bolts are over tightened it causes issues like that. Good luck finding the cause - hope you resolve it.

Last edited: