Spindle nut?

upssteve

Forum Newbie
Threads
just happend to see that on a sears web page (shop your way) it said 65 lbs torque hope that helps

cav2108

Forum Newbie
Threads
The blade holding nut torque specification for the D160 is 65 ft-lbs (according to the manual). Since the sheave pulley is at the opposite end of that spindle, I would say that it is also 65 ft-lbs, BUT I only tighten mine to 50 ft-lbs since the portion of the spindle at that end is somewhat smaller than at the blade end and it is easy to check for looseness before operation. I tighten the four self-tapping screws that hold the spindle to the cutter deck to 23 ft-lbs. (because the 8 x 1.25 10mm screws are only rated for 24 ft-lbs of torque according to the metric torque charts). So far so good. I've been operating this mower weekly for the past 4 years. It has 284 hours on it as of yesterday.

Justin-YTH24V54

Forum Newbie
Threads
I had to replace the bearings in my deck spindle does anyone know the torque spec for the spindle nut on top of the pulley? It is a ys4500 with the 54" deck if that helps any..
I Did 30 Ft. Lbs.
You can check what the other spindle nuts are and go by that

Attachments

• 20200326_170510.jpg
    20200326_170510.jpg
    558 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

MowManMow

Threads
Spindle on my wifes 2006 YS4500 with 42" deck has never been off till today. I checked torque on both sides before I started because I cant locate the pulley nut spec anywhere online? Both sides took about 110lb before the nut finally broke loose. They're on pretty tight Id say.
I found so many different posts saying from 55 to 150lbs with no info showing if its AYP recommendation or simply their guess so no wonder people have their nut back off stripping the pulley. I saw 55lb a lot which is just half what Im getting. I saw a crapsman youtube vid from a parts supplier just showing an impact on everything including pulley nut & blade bolt. He never used a torque wrench nor stated any torque ratings at all.
Now I wouldn't recommend doing that since impacts vary so much. My IR impact runs 450lb forward & 650lb reverse. Cant remember what low/mid spec is on it but I can turn it down. Still wouldn't impact a blade on and call it a day after seeing what happens by doing it.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
If people would only read their owners manual.
1665222242373.png

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Reviewing the manual is too easy....like cheating !!!
I know as most put File 13 as soon they touch it. I used to trained office workers on new equipment. I would intentionally stumble through the training session just to get them find the answer in the manual. Many times they had to get it out the File 13 with the coffee grounds all over it.