Any more Pro Z steering wheel users around here?

Jetblast

Threads
It's almost two years since I started this thread, so here's an update. The lovefest remains strong and everything I said is still true. It has performed flawlessly and is a pleasure to use, however I did have to make some mods to make it my dream machine.

1. It really needed the rear anti-scalp/striping rollers of the 700 and 900, because I was having scalping problems over my leach field. Solved.

2. I wanted the bigger front wheels that come on the 700 and 900 Pro Z S for better wet steering traction, so I added those. That required re-leveling the deck, but that's it. All associated parts, including the front forks, are the same. Honestly can't tell much difference with that mod, but it was cheap and easy and the bigger wheels look nice. I give this upgrade a five out of ten just for the fact that I can confidently run a couple of pounds less air pressure due to the larger tire bead area.

3. Because my yard is so bumpy, I thought the EVC elastomeric vibration control seat isolation of the 700s and 900s would help. This is not the vertical suspension in the seat itself, but the rubber pieces the seat is mounted to. They allow for a couple inches of lateral seat movement over bumpy areas, and holy cow that made a huge difference. It was not subtle. It was huge. This was the most expensive and difficult to install upgrade, and had as big of a payoff as the rear deck rollers.

After these three mods, I'm still under the cost of a 700 and have retained the relative fuel economy of my 850cc engine, which has more than enough power to handle my slopes and goes as fast as my yard allows. That said, if you have bumps and don't want to fiddle with buying parts and installing them, I'd start with eyes on the 700 and skip the 500. Even more so if you can use the extra speed of the costlier machines.

The steering wheel knob didn't last long. Turns out with a bit of practice I can whip the wheel around with the heel of my hand just as well, and the knob was otherwise getting in the way.

I live in SW Ohio where there are ponds, ditches, fences, and slopes everywhere, and a lot of rain. I'm surprised I'm not seeing Pro Z S mowers on more lawn company trailers. They live for this environment.

rperk

Threads
Oh man I totally forgot about this thread. I'll post some updates later.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
All of the customers with them, love them.
Only 2 systemic problems I see.

1) washing the deck will cause water ingression into the spindle bearings shortening the life no end
2) debris gets under the foot boards and jambs up the steering linkages.
Remember this is OZ, the land of the falling gum tree branches.

rperk

Threads
Well to answer the ??? about my steering problem..... Turns out the factory left off some spacers on the front axle mounting bolt
which allowed the axle to have way to much play in all directions. Even when steering was set properly the axle took it away.

Just so you know, If for any reason, wear in the frame area where the axle bolts on WILL require a new frame. There is NO bushings
in the frame and axle. They replaced the axle to start with and had same play in it. Then they sent in a new frame and had dealer
move everything over to new one. Nothing worked right after that. They bought it back through another dealer and I got a new one.
Also had to replace right side drive motor/pump before all this happened.

Now with all this happening with the first one, I still love these machines for what they can do vs a reg zturn.

My 2nd unit still has a slight problem with leveling and that right rear hanger. I set the deck adjuster to 3.50 to achieve a 3 in cut
and a 3 1/4 in the rear.
I bought the dealer kit for timing the steering because, hey I know what the problem is and no matter what I tell the dealer, he's
only guessing.

Now for the BIG problem with this unit, it's the Kawasaki Engine that is giving me problems. Cranks and runs fine 1st thing in the
mornings, turn it off and crank it back up, it loses power. It will clear up if I let it run at around 2500 rpm for a few mins but will repeat
the process if shut off or if it gets under a real heavy load of thick grass.
150 Hours on it and both coils replaced, both gas tanks pulled and cleaned, valves adjusted and seafoam run thru the fuel system.
Dealer still trying to figure out problem with help from Kawi.

More updates later

rperk

Threads
All of the customers with them, love them.
Only 2 systemic problems I see.

1) washing the deck will cause water ingression into the spindle bearings shortening the life no end
2) debris gets under the foot boards and jambs up the steering linkages.
Remember this is OZ, the land of the falling gum tree branches.

Yep forgot to say, #2 had to replace spindle on left side at 90 hours. As for debris, just keep it blowed out.

Jetblast

Threads
Holy cow, what a ride you've been on. Sorry to hear of all the trouble, that really stinks. As soon as I read this I went out and jerked my front axle around from every direction but it's tight. If that had happened out of warranty I'd have been tempted to weld it to the frame and be done with it. My last ZTR didn't have a pivoting axle and I prefer that. I guess it's a matter of whether you have more bumps or dips, and I have more dips. That pivot point should have bushings and it's ridiculous that it doesn't.

Your engine trouble is puzzling as heck. You've done everything I'd think would fix it. I can't imagine what's going on there, but I'd love to hear what it was if you get to the bottom of it before setting the mower ablaze and off a cliff.

Can you say more about the dealer timing kit for the steering? I'm going to need that too, since my dealer can't be trusted to work on mine. Maybe a part number, and did you order it online? I figured out how to subscribe to this thread so I'll get notified by email with any reply. Thanks.

Well to answer the ??? about my steering problem..... Turns out the factory left off some spacers on the front axle mounting bolt
which allowed the axle to have way to much play in all directions. Even when steering was set properly the axle took it away.

Just so you know, If for any reason, wear in the frame area where the axle bolts on WILL require a new frame. There is NO bushings
in the frame and axle. They replaced the axle to start with and had same play in it. Then they sent in a new frame and had dealer
move everything over to new one. Nothing worked right after that. They bought it back through another dealer and I got a new one.
Also had to replace right side drive motor/pump before all this happened.

Now with all this happening with the first one, I still love these machines for what they can do vs a reg zturn.

My 2nd unit still has a slight problem with leveling and that right rear hanger. I set the deck adjuster to 3.50 to achieve a 3 in cut
and a 3 1/4 in the rear.
I bought the dealer kit for timing the steering because, hey I know what the problem is and no matter what I tell the dealer, he's
only guessing.

Now for the BIG problem with this unit, it's the Kawasaki Engine that is giving me problems. Cranks and runs fine 1st thing in the
mornings, turn it off and crank it back up, it loses power. It will clear up if I let it run at around 2500 rpm for a few mins but will repeat
the process if shut off or if it gets under a real heavy load of thick grass.
150 Hours on it and both coils replaced, both gas tanks pulled and cleaned, valves adjusted and seafoam run thru the fuel system.
Dealer still trying to figure out problem with help from Kawi.

More updates later

rperk

Threads
Just an update on my 2nd 500 S. The engine problem turned out to be trash in the carb.
Still having problems with the steering but not as bad as the 1st.
Yes I would still buy another.

Jetblast

Threads
Just an update on my 2nd 500 S. The engine problem turned out to be trash in the carb.
Still having problems with the steering but not as bad as the 1st.
Yes I would still buy another.
Would you happen to have a part number for the steering timing kit? Or maybe just some ordering info? Thanks.

rperk

Threads
No I don't, I had the service manager that was working on my first one, to order it for me.