Weed Eater Blower Vac Not Starting

zman111666

Threads
On your unit the line closest to the primer bulb is the return line. To clean the walbro, just shoot carb cleaner through every hole you see on it, but be careful with the little brass fittings they are valves, and sometimes carb cleaner will soften the rubber flaps in them and make them stick. So sometimes I will give a little shot of WD40 though those instead. Sometimes the bulb at the end of the pick-up tube in the tank gets gummed up, so I'll shoot a little carb cleaner through that too, and blow out with compressed air. Also, before you unscrew the high and low adjustment screws, turn the in all the way gently first, and count how many turns out they are, so you have your initial settings.
When people talk about cleaning the muffler, it's usually just the screen you have to worry about, and you should be able to access that without pulling of the whole thing. on some units you just pull one screw by the "tailpipe", and slide the screen out to clean, on others you pull 2 or 3 screws, and pull off a little cap over the screen, and lift it out.
The fuel lines crumbling in the tank is due to ethanol in the fuel. I cannot say enough about the evils of ethanol when it comes to 2 cycle engines. If you can't find non ethanol fuel, at least get some Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer and add it to your fuel can. Get the 360 marine kind, that protects against ethanol damage.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
As the machine will no longer fire using starting fluid, I have to wonder if the carb is not the issue....but that's just me..

Very true.
You would not believe just how many come into the shop with a messed up carb where the owner has tried to fix a tank vent problem by pulling the carb apart then spraying carb cleaner on all the vitton bits ( which carb cleaner destroys ) scratched up diaphragm fave where they have scraped it with a razor and a blown ,metering diaphragm from blowing out the holes with 150 PSI of unfiltered air.

l008com

Threads
There was just ONE carb adapter plate on earth left. It was on ebay, and i got it. Stupid thing needs a gasket. Another week, another $9. The gasket on the old plate was very thin and totally disintegrated when i tried to remove it. The saga continues.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And there is a good reason why there was only one left so be careful with yours

Pumper54

Threads
1008com, any chance you can take the adapter plate to a fab shop and have them make you another, just in case?
To

zman111666

Threads
Gaskets come apart pretty often on carbs. I buy gasket paper by the roll, and assorted sheets, as I am making one every couple days. I will scrape off the old one as carefully as I can, so I can trace them onto the gasket paper, cut them out with scissors, then use various punches to form the holes. Often I will make two, and keep one as a template.
Since you said the original disintegrated, maybe one of the others, like from the other side of the plate, or the other side of the carb, can be used as a basic template.

l008com

Threads
Gaskets come apart pretty often on carbs. I buy gasket paper by the roll, and assorted sheets, as I am making one every couple days. I will scrape off the old one as carefully as I can, so I can trace them onto the gasket paper, cut them out with scissors, then use various punches to form the holes. Often I will make two, and keep one as a template.
Since you said the original disintegrated, maybe one of the others, like from the other side of the plate, or the other side of the carb, can be used as a basic template.

I just bought a full gasket kit for this engine on ebay. The carb adapter plate is impossible to get but the gasket kits are still readily available. This way I can put all new gaskets in and hopefully be done with this unit and simply use it. Fall is almost upon us after all!

l008com

Threads
New fuel lines, new gaskets, new adapter plate, cleaned up carb. I'm SO CLOSE i can feel it! I'm just having one last problem!!

For the life of me, I cannot find a way to hook up the throttle cable that lets you get the full range of the throttle lever through the full range of the carb. I either get half the range of the throttle lever (between idle and WOT on the carb), or the linkage is in there at such an odd angle that it binds up and I get even less. I'm stumped, I've been messing with this link for the past hour and a half!

Here's a picture. The carb is not installed but when it is, the bolt follows the blue line, just to give an idea of where it is normally situated. The orange line connects the holes where the link is supposed to connect. I feel like there's some 'trick' to this that I am missing. I mean how many possible ways can there be to install this thing. Basically between 4 and 8. And I'm pretty sure I've tried them all. *SHRUG*

efslbZ3.jpg

l008com

Threads
Welp i made a short video of the link installed the way it's oriented in the photo above, so you can see how limited the movement of the lever is, but I'm only on cellular internet right now so I can't upload it.
But even though the movement of the lever is severely limited, it does seem to be moving the butterfly in the carb fully, so I put it together like that. I figured F-it. I've spent WAY too much time on this p.o.s. Well after just about pulling my arm off, the damn thing started! Who would have thought! The plug looks a little old, I wonder if it would run even better with a fresh one. But I did get it to start and run NOT off starter fluid, off it's own gas! I only ran it for a minute or so because it was 10PM and I have neighbors. But this weekend I'm going to mow, and afterwards I'll use this thing to clean up and we'll see how it goes. Hopefully with all the work I put into this thing, I get at least a few years out of it. Even though it's already 20 years old, it's practically brand new now :D

I'll still post the video later tonight when I get home.

l008com

Threads
Here is the video of the lever and carb movement.