STIHL FS 90R Extension Question

Shawn R.

Threads
Ok. I looked into the 3 types of trimmer lines and 4 types of trimmer heads that you guys mentioned on eBay and YouTube and decided on what I want. I will be placing orders for the Oregon Magnum GatorLine and Echo SpeedFeed Trimmer Head as well as the adapters needed for my STIHL FS 90R Weed Eater. It's insane how much easier this is going to make my life here on out and I owe it to you guys for showing a newb like me how it's done. I take my hat off to you guys.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I use .095 LoNoiz. This stuff is amazing. It last about 3 times longer then the Husqvarna .095 string I used to use. I love it.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ok. I looked into the 3 types of trimmer lines and 4 types of trimmer heads that you guys mentioned on eBay and YouTube and decided on what I want. I will be placing orders for the Oregon Magnum GatorLine and Echo SpeedFeed Trimmer Head as well as the adapters needed for my STIHL FS 90R Weed Eater. It's insane how much easier this is going to make my life here on out and I owe it to you guys for showing a newb like me how it's done. I take my hat off to you guys.

Just a side note Shawn : I too have an FS-90R, If ever you experience trouble with your recoil being hard to pull, you need to adjust the valves, makes all the difference in the world !

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-STIHL-...148436?hash=item3ab636cf14:g:w4YAAOSw14xWQmAj

http://www.mylawnmowerforum.com/for...3-stihl-4-mix-valve-adjustment-procedure.html

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

Start by ordering a small dounut of the line to see how it well works in your new head.
Some combos work better together than others and the lightest line that does the job is the best to use, cuts better and better for your trimmer.
The speed feeds have not been out all that long , about 2-3 seasons down here, so we are yet to see how well they stand up, although it looks like a few yardies are using them over there.
I thought they were a tad on the heavy side when the rep came round & tried to sell me a box of them.
I bought 6 and still have 4 of them.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
As an aside: A lot of the pros in my area run a lighter line (0.085 I think) so they can keep it longer. They only have 60 inch ZTRs on their trailer so anywhere their machine won't fit or is too steep gets weed wacked. The first thing they do is get rid of the guard/string cutter on their trimmers. I don't know of any pro in my area other than myself that keeps the guard on. I'm sure they all laugh at me for it. :smile:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
As an aside: A lot of the pros in my area run a lighter line (0.085 I think) so they can keep it longer. They only have 60 inch ZTRs on their trailer so anywhere their machine won't fit or is too steep gets weed wacked. The first thing they do is get rid of the guard/string cutter on their trimmers. I don't know of any pro in my area other than myself that keeps the guard on. I'm sure they all laugh at me for it. :smile:

The longer the line, the faster the cutting edge is going thus the better it cuts.
It also makes it easier to see where the edge of the string actually is.
And Pros usually wear safety gear so getting plastered by debris is not such a problem.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Enables them to trim around small trees without having to walk around them too. I wear shorts most of the time when mowing and my legs get beat up enough as it is, but the main reason I keep my guards on is for liability reasons. I don't need to see where the line is...easy enough to tell.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads

I keep my guard on too. I know 4 other guys that mow and they laugh at me. My 5-year-old Husqvarna 223 that still runs like new compared to their 3 set of weedeaters (Stihl mostly) that their employees destroy because the run the string way too long and burn them up. I will keep my money thank you.

primerbulb120

Threads
Start by ordering a small dounut of the line to see how it well works in your new head.
Some combos work better together than others and the lightest line that does the job is the best to use, cuts better and better for your trimmer.
The speed feeds have not been out all that long , about 2-3 seasons down here, so we are yet to see how well they stand up, although it looks like a few yardies are using them over there.
I thought they were a tad on the heavy side when the rep came round & tried to sell me a box of them.
I bought 6 and still have 4 of them.

Speed feeds have been around for years over here. More than just a few people use them, I'd say at least 20%. The majority of the people with Echos run them.

primerbulb120

Threads
Enables them to trim around small trees without having to walk around them too. I wear shorts most of the time when mowing and my legs get beat up enough as it is, but the main reason I keep my guards on is for liability reasons. I don't need to see where the line is...easy enough to tell.

Darryl,

I keep my guards on too. I mow in shorts and a T-shirt as well, it's too hot down here for pants or jeans.

What trimmer do you run?