9HP Tecumseh engine of short block needed

mshields8

Forum Newbie
Threads
9HP Tecumseh engine or short block needed

I have a Craftsman snow thrower Model 536.887993 with a seized engine. Lawn mower shop claims it can't be rebuilt and they can't get a short block for it. Engine part # 143-049-001 according to the shop. Does anyone know of a source for a replacement engine. Seems strange to me that there are not replacement parts somewhere. Any suggestions/advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you can get all the numbers off the engine, it would help us alot. Without them we can only guess.

mshields8

Forum Newbie
Threads
The mechanic says there is only the Craftsman number on the machine. Do you know the differences in the 8HP, 9HP and 10HP engines? I see them on ebay and they all look alike. Are they inter-changeable?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First of all, the Sears number for you engine is 143.049001. This crosses to a Tecumseh model HMSK90-XXXXXXX. Can't give you the spec number, as my chart does not go that low. Short block number is 756337D, no long available, but you might find one on the web. Most of the basic parts are available, but will need to be purchased individually. If your mechanic is any good he should be able to find them. If you purchase a replacement engine off the web, 1. it must be an HMSK model, 2. make sure you have pictures of all sides to compare, and then consult with you mechanic and see what he says. He will be doing the conversion.