Starting Trouble

PyhooyaBooya

Threads
I have a briggs and stratton 15.5 ho engine on a mower. My mower seems to have a very hard time starting the engine. It doesnt just whir and whir like it isn't making spark or anything. Its like there is some sort of catch in the cylinder. Once it starts it runs fine, and it will start fine for the rest of the day.

I have tried seafoam, but it didn't seem to help anything.

I'm no mechanic, just a professional parts installer. I need help!!

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
valve adjustment!.....when the rockers start to get loose... it leaves them closed too long on the compression stroke...putting stress on the starter......check your manual for clearance specs.....they're probably intake.004 and exhaust .006...but check anyway.......also get a valvecover gasket..$5...:smile:

yoyoboy96

Threads
You might need a spark plug.
Carbs that need cleaning are sometimes hard to start when they begin to get dirty, if thats the case your preformance will eventually decrease until you get it fixed.
If you run the mower for 15 minutes, then turn it off for 2 minutes and then go to turn it back on, does it turn on fine?
If yes, your plug is fine and I would look into a carb cleaning.

PyhooyaBooya

Threads
I ran that seafoam through there and it seems too have helped the starting issue. I think I may have something loose in the engine though. It makes quite a bit of noise when it is running.