aftermarket seat on frontmount?

Jinzo Ningen

Threads
I am wondering if anyone has installed an aftermarket seat on their Grasshopper? I put a very nice cordura fabric seat on my amphibious ATV a couple of years ago that I picked up from Tractor Supply and it is super comfy: Premium High-Back Seat, Cordura - 0278239 | Tractor Supply Company

To me, that aftermarket seat looks a lot nicer than the vinyl "Premier Suspension Seat" GH sells. I don't know what the GH high-end seat price runs, but the aftermarket unit from Kodiac at Tractor Supply is $250. My main question for anyone who has swapped their seat out is... what kind of headaches will I encounter trying to transfer the operator presence safety switch from the old seat to the new??? Can it even be transferred or is it easier to just bypass the switch? How do I do that? I don't want to, but I really need more support for my back. (Sadly, 3 back injuries over the years practically demand extra cushion whenever possible now!)

geoff

Threads
Hi,
I don't have any experience so far in replacing the OE seat on my unit but I would like to. Its comfortable enough for me, and a lot better than some other tractor seats I have had on other machines, but some of the fabric on my arm rests is torn and I am at the point of considering replacing it.

Regarding the seat switch.... I have only had my machine a few weeks and am learning about it as fast as I can but I have investigated the safety switch attached to the seat. Others may correct me on this, but my understanding of this is that the safety switch will only turn off the machine if you, the operator get off the seat while the blade clutch switch is engaged. At least on my machine, as long as the blades are not engaged I can get off the machine and the engine will still run. The switch is a simple pressure switch that when depressed connects two wires so that the electrical connection is complete. Get off the machine, with the blades engaged, and the connection is broken and the machine is stopped. I would kindly recommend that if that is how your machine works, that you leave that switch intact and functional. I had an incident not that long ago when I got tossed from another machine, not a GH and was literally thrown off and landed with my left leg next to the mowing deck. Had the safety interlock not been working, well I don't have to paint that detailed a picture for you, but it wouldn't have been pretty... just a thought...On the other hand adapting it to a new seat should not be a big problem...

geoff

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
geoff is right about the switch, and for an open station mower may be worth keeping, who knows who you may let operate it in the future...

See if you can remove the switch from your old seat, they are replaceable so it should be possible to do...
If the new seat will not readily bolt up you can make an adapter plate to bolt to your mower and then bolt the new seat to it... anything that can be done to make mowing MORE enjoyable is going to be worth the effort... :smile:KennyV

Black Bart

Threads

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Bart,
That is the exact suspension seat that is on the Ventrac. It is a great seat and very comfortable - It should work well for you ! :thumbsup:

Seat Belt solves the being thrown off. :biggrin:

Black Bart

Threads
Bart,
That is the exact suspension seat that is on the Ventrac. It is a great seat and very comfortable - It should work well for you ! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info BK the web sites has 35 reviews of it and all of then are positive.
I have artificial disks in my back with titanium rods running up my spine I need a good seat with back
support.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
The first Ventrac I owned had a non-suspension seat (until my better half got me the suspension seat) BIG difference in the ride. This new machine was ordered with the Suspension Seat and I love it. Ventrac also has the mounting plate riding on springs - so you get the seat suspension as well as springs under the seat mount.

A strange thing just popped into my head :biggrin: .... wondering if a 5 point (like a racing harness) could be mounted on this seat to keep your back against the seat back ?????

Black Bart

Threads
The first Ventrac I owned had a non-suspension seat (until my better half got me the suspension seat) BIG difference in the ride. This new machine was ordered with the Suspension Seat and I love it. Ventrac also has the mounting plate riding on springs - so you get the seat suspension as well as springs under the seat mount.

A strange thing just popped into my head :biggrin: .... wondering if a 5 point (like a racing harness) could be mounted on this seat to keep your back against the seat back ?????

My JD has the seat mounted to a plate and the plate sits on springs but the lean back is too short and it leans me back to much.

I have a 3" competition 5 way harness that I removed from my Corvette.
It is still good but the sanctioning body will not allow you to race with a belt more than 2 years old.
Expensive buying this harness every 2 years.:confused2: :frown:

I have a vette with a 1200 HP engine in it and it is pure bliss to take it onto a road-race course :thumbsup:

geoff

Threads
Bart,

of course you are correct about the seat belt but unfortunately, the zero turn mower I was using at the time, a Dixon didn't have a seatbelt..(http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/images/smilies/frown.gif

Jinzo Ningen

Threads
geoff is right about the switch, and for an open station mower may be worth keeping, who knows who you may let operate it in the future...

See if you can remove the switch from your old seat, they are replaceable so it should be possible to do... If the new seat will not readily bolt up you can make an adapter plate to bolt to your mower and then bolt the new seat to it... anything that can be done to make mowing MORE enjoyable is going to be worth the effort... :smile:KennyV

Yes, Kenny. I do intend - if at all possible - to retain the GH operator presence switch. You're right... you never know who may run it in the years to come. Since the Tractor Supply site info indicates that it is designed for ZTR mowers, then it should have the ability to incorporate the switch underneath somewhere. I'll rig something up regardless. The Kodiac seat I linked to has a LOT of adjustability to hook up to a variety of mounting plates. It really is a nice seat. I know it took most of the bumps out of my amphibious ATV, and those are just like a mower; only the tires offer suspension. That's why I am buying one to put on the 'Hopper.

Bart - the Kodiac seat is actually wider than the Michigan High-Back seat you linked to. The Kodiac I have is just under 20.5" wide; the Michigan High-Back is 19.5" according to Northern Tool's webpage. Also, any seat can only be a maximum width of 21" or it would interfere with the Throttle & Parking Brake levers. So the Kodiac will should be a perfect fit. I also wanted a cordura fabric seat - NOT rubber or vinyl. Too damn hot on my tender behind. LOL I'll Scotch-Guard it to protect against rain & stains before I instal it. I'll post pics when it happens. It'll be a while though. That Kodiac seat is $100 cheaper than the one you linked to, but that's still $250 and I need a little time to re-charge my depleted fun money account! LOL