Voltage output check on a Honda GXV390 engine, what should I look for?

Roc585

Threads
  • / Voltage output check on a Honda GXV390 engine, what should I look for?
I want to test the voltage coming off of the wire on the side of the engine. It's not the spark wire, but some other wire that goes to the ignition switch.

PICS: http://imgur.com/a/6MpKE

Anyone know what it should be?

I hold a meter to it and it shows around 3.3v AC on fast and 2.4v AC at idle. Should it be up more around 12v AC or something? Or is that normal voltage.

It's pull start, and has no accessories running off of it. The safety lever doesn't work and I'm wondering if low voltage is causing the relay to not work right.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If that is the wire going to the battery it should be 12V - 14V DC
If that wire goes to a rectifier it should be 26V - 30V AC
Time to look at your alternator or rectifier.

Roc585

Threads
There's no battery, it's a pull start. No other electrical accessories on it, like lights or whatever.

Here's a picture of the wiring harness showing a built in module. It's just a single wire coming from the motor up to the wiring harness under the handlebars. That built in module is what controls the safety cutout, and that's not working.

https://m.imgur.com/a/CvqBi

I think either the module is bad, or maybe the module isn't getting enough volts from the motor to function properly.

I have no idea what I'm doing if that helps at all. Lol. I'm not sure what to do/check to figure this out.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
This site is not run by the FBI , the CIA or even Internal Revenue so keeping secrets will not do you any good.
The harness is part of the equipment, not the engine.
So how about starting with what it is and what it is or is not doing.
The model number off the engine would also be helpful then the nice Honda people can look it up for you.
Only ones I have played with simply had a ground wire to kill the engine.

Roc585

Threads
This site is not run by the FBI , the CIA or even Internal Revenue so keeping secrets will not do you any good.
The harness is part of the equipment, not the engine.
So how about starting with what it is and what it is or is not doing.
The model number off the engine would also be helpful then the nice Honda people can look it up for you.
Only ones I have played with simply had a ground wire to kill the engine.

The engine model is in the freaking post title (Honda GXV390), and in my reply comments I say exactly what's going on (safety shutoff system isn't working). Wow.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The engine model is in the freaking post title (Honda GXV390), and in my reply comments I say exactly what's going on (safety shutoff system isn't working). Wow.

GXV390 is the series or type number.
The model number is stamped into the crankcase
That information is needed to check the exact specifications of the engine.
If it is too much trouble for you to post it and what it is on , then I can be of no further assistance because Honda did different things for different companies.
You say there is nothing electrical on the impliment and if that is the case there would be no need to put an expensive alternator on the engine thus there would be no output wire, just a kill wire.
Like all of the units fitted to rotary hoes, & water pumps I have repaired in the past.
Thus I hope some one else has the information you need because I have no idea & you have provided no way for me to look it up so good bye & good luck.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
I want to test the voltage coming off of the wire on the side of the engine. It's not the spark wire, but some other wire that goes to the ignition switch.

PICS: http://imgur.com/a/6MpKE

Anyone know what it should be?

I hold a meter to it and it shows around 3.3v AC on fast and 2.4v AC at idle. Should it be up more around 12v AC or something? Or is that normal voltage.

It's pull start, and has no accessories running off of it. The safety lever doesn't work and I'm wondering if low voltage is causing the relay to not work right.

looks to me to be the wire from the charge coil, you say you have no accessories, and its a pull start, so the wire is REDUNDANT.