Discharge chute springs?

charley95

Threads
I have a HRX217VKA that I purchased 4 years back. One of the washers on the hinge pin fell off and I replaced with a new one from the hardware store. When I pulled out the hinge pin the springs came unwound. I haven't figured out how to rewind the tension when putting the hinge pin back in place to keep tension on the chute. Any idea how to rewind the tension on the 2 springs when putting the hinge pin back in place??

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a HRX217VKA that I purchased 4 years back. One of the washers on the hinge pin fell off and I replaced with a new one from the hardware store. When I pulled out the hinge pin the springs came unwound. I haven't figured out how to rewind the tension when putting the hinge pin back in place to keep tension on the chute. Any idea how to rewind the tension on the 2 springs when putting the hinge pin back in place??

So looking at the two springs, there's a curved tip end, and straight tip end. Look close, and you'll see there is a small hole (on each side) in the discharge door that you thread the curved tip through so it is visible on the outside of the door. Now, the straight ends fit directly into a hole (one each side) on the deck itself. However, the tips will be naturally pointed away from that hole, so get a help, position the spring curve ends, position the door so the straight ends line up with the holes, lower the door slightly. Next, have your helper position the rod so it slides through everything. Takes some effort, and you won't get it on the first try, but that's really all you do.

I'm sure the factory has a purpose built jig to do all the above in 10 seconds or less. :)