Kawasaki FR651V Quiet cold, after mowing sounds like lifters need adjust ( Help )

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Kawasaki FR651V Quiet cold, after mowing sounds like lifters need adjust ( Help )
My Kaw FR651V has only 76 hours on it. When I start it & warm it up @ idle 1650 rpm, it is quiet as new.

After 20 - 30 minutes of mowing, I idle it down to 1650 rpm (before shut off to clean it) it sounds like the lifters need adjusting. Or low oil pressure ? Oil level is full of 10W-40, & kept well.

But to me, if lifters needed adjusting, I would hear the light clatter hot or cold, like my former B&S engines did. I have only 20 days of warranty left. Help.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Kawasaki FR651V Quiet cold, after mowing sounds like lifters need adjust ( Help )
Why not pull the valve covers when it's making the noise and check the clearance? That will answer your question and surely that wouldn't void your warranty.

Lawn Addict
Threads
There would be oil everywhere. That would be a hot check, lash specs are for cold. I think it needs an oil pressure gauge hooked up to it. Only 20 days left of warranty.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm hauling mine in to my Dealer Wednesday, I was out there today (only 6 miles away) & I'm gonna let them sort it out, & use my Warranty.

Course I may have to rent goats to eat the grass in the mean time.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
There would be oil everywhere. That would be a hot check, lash specs are for cold. I think it needs an oil pressure gauge hooked up to it. Only 20 days left of warranty.
Yes, that's what catch pans and rags are for. The difference between hot and cold lash is not enough to make a clatter; if anything the hot lash is less, not more, so you'd be looking at tighter valves, not looser.

Clatter from low oil pressure is normally associated with hydraulic lifters. Yours isn't a hydraulic lifter engine.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Agreed, & Yes mine have steel solid lifters, least I got it documented I had it checked out at Dealer on a ticket, from what the head tech heard he said it sounded good.

We couldn't actually replicate the sound , like after mowing, but that is documented as well. But having the ticket covers me on warranty even after it runs out.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Today I mowed, engine was quiet as new cold as usual, then after mowing 30 minutes, then idling it down a bit before shut off, I was hearing the clatter again.

If it is valve lash issue @ only 77 hours, wouldn't the valve train be quieter when the heat expands valve components ?

gregjo1948

Threads
Sounds like valve adjustment is needed. Be sure you have the valves completely closed when gauging and adjusting. I think they open the exhaust valve a bit at the start of the compression stroke to lesson compression for easier cranking when starting the engine. The valve clearance (lash) is quite tight and after mowing, with the engine up to temperature, the oil will be thinner than when first started.(cold engine) which may allow the tappets to make noise.

Lawn Addict
Threads
gregjo1948- Thanks, yes that makes sense. Valve lash spec is for I. & E. = .002 ~ .039

But .039 sounds like a typo from the Kaw Repair manual. I'm thinking the widest spec should be more like .0039

And wouldn't slightly loose tappets cause the timing to retard a bit, possibly making it run hotter

gregjo1948

Threads
Loose tappets won't affect the timing and shouldn't make it run hotter either. A little loose doesn't hurt anything but, too tight can.
When I adjust tappets, I remove the spark plugs and fan guard. Using a socket with a ratchet, I turn the engine over watching to be sure the valve to be adjusted is completely closed. I turn the over in the running direction and if I go past the closed valve position, I do not back it up. I continue around to the correct spot.