1997 Craftsman 25hp 50" garden tractor wont move

Bleach

Threads
No I didn't check that since I didn't have either wheel off in a long time. I did try running the tractor with both wheels off the ground and there was no movement on either wheel. I'm sure the keys are OK because of the momentary movement I had on a few occasions. There were no grinding sounds at any point.

Bleach

Threads
It appears I solved the problem. I drained as much oil as I could and changed the filter. The biggest problem was that there was no way to refill it, at least with the transaxle in the tractor. I had to pull it out and set it sideways on the tire sidewall. That's the only way you can fill it through the plugs in the case. You can't fill it through the plugs while it is in the tractor. Craftsman did not want this thing serviceable as the manual that came with even indicates this as "The transaxle was sealed at the factory and fluid maintenance
is not required for the life of the transaxle." I wonder why the bother putting a filter on this thing then?
Either way I filled it with oil and it moves again. There was nothing in Hydrogear's website that would show me what the oil capacity is so I put as much as I drained out and plus some extra.
Now I have deal with the governor on the engine again. http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/showthread.php/43862-My-Kohler-Command-25-hp-now-runs-WOT-on-its-own
I think an average owner would have junked this thing long time ago.

EmeraldCity

Forum Newbie
Threads
Bleach - are you still messing with the 97 Craftsman? I just recently joined and discovered you have the same model I have. Never seen another. I, too, am in Washington State - in Maple Valley. Where are you?

Rich
Cell: 425-417-5556

Lemonlimehomer

Forum Newbie
Threads
It appears I solved the problem. I drained as much oil as I could and changed the filter. The biggest problem was that there was no way to refill it, at least with the transaxle in the tractor. I had to pull it out and set it sideways on the tire sidewall. That's the only way you can fill it through the plugs in the case. You can't fill it through the plugs while it is in the tractor. Craftsman did not want this thing serviceable as the manual that came with even indicates this as "The transaxle was sealed at the factory and fluid maintenance
is not required for the life of the transaxle." I wonder why the bother putting a filter on this thing then?
Either way I filled it with oil and it moves again. There was nothing in Hydrogear's website that would show me what the oil capacity is so I put as much as I drained out and plus some extra.
Now I have deal with the governor on the engine again. http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/showthread.php/43862-My-Kohler-Command-25-hp-now-runs-WOT-on-its-own
I think an average owner would have junked this thing long time ago.
Hello. I came across your post. I have a craftsman gt300, with kind of the same issue (?).
It'll go in reverse, but not really forward (reg. Speed, under pressure/strain). The oil and filter was changed and it didn't help.
I was wondering if you turning it on its side (on the tire sidewall), that may have moved the gears back in alignment(?). I was wondering which tire you tipped it on, left or right.
My email, lemonlimehomer70@hotmail, if you could reply.
Thanks.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hello. I came across your post. I have a craftsman gt300, with kind of the same issue (?).
It'll go in reverse, but not really forward (reg. Speed, under pressure/strain). The oil and filter was changed and it didn't help.
I was wondering if you turning it on its side (on the tire sidewall), that may have moved the gears back in alignment(?). I was wondering which tire you tipped it on, left or right.
My email, lemonlimehomer70@hotmail, if you could reply.
Thanks.
No
There is no magic cure
Some times a thicker oil will add a few more seasons to a hydro but they wear out
The valve plate ( often called a kidney plate ) on more expensive units can be replaced
A machinist with the required knowledge & tooling can machine the wear out then shim other parts to bring the pump or motor back to spec but in the USA most just replace the pump/motor module

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Mainly because machine shops charge more the replacement parts here. That is when you even find one with the knowledge and tools to do it. For example the HG-71530 center section costs me $85 and the local machine shop is at $120/hr. Just don't sense to spend more at the machine shop. Now of I got to add the piston motor blocks too but again the machine quote more than what it cost me to buy new replacement parts.