Honda HR173 ?

CutWellJohnson

Forum Newbie
Threads
Can anyone tell me abit about a the Honda HR173 mower?
What engine is on it?
Is it any good or just a toy?
Thanks

CutWellJohnson

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well KennyV I think that the key word here is "some". I threw out the question because I only saw pictures of this model recently in a online classified ad. The build quality looked very "light". Especially the wheel assemblies and the attachment of the handle. The engine looked interesting but like nothing from Honda that I am familiar with. That is why I asked what engine is on it. I was recently advised by a small engine mechanic that I know to stay away from mowers that don't have the GXV engine as the GCV are no where near as well made or as durable. That said, I would be willing to bet that yes the GCV is not as good as the GXV which is found only in the commercial series that costs serious money, but it (the GCV series engine) is probably better than most Briggs and Tecumseh engines and especially those new made in China Kohler engines filling the void left by Tecumseh's departure from the marketplace. I am in the market for a new mower as my Lawnboy's Tecumseh engine is starting to clang (Do I hear laughter?........Go ahead I deserve it for not buying something better!) and was kind of fond of the Ariens LM21SW with Kawasaki engine and front caster wheels at about 60% the cost of a GXV equipped Honda, until I came across an older Honda HRA215 mower and was blown away buy the build quality of this GX engined, noble old beast.
Like old collector cars this mower is a classic and suddenly that shiney orange new Ariens doesn't seem so impressive anymore. I am now looking for a lightly used mint condition HRA215. So getting back to the HR173 toy comment, buy looking at photos of it, I don't see this mower as going down the same road as the HRA215. Maybe good enough but not great.

Last edited:

CutWellJohnson

Forum Newbie
Threads
Does any one know anything about this lawn mower and what model of Honda engine it has?

Threads
The HR173 uses the L-head GV (not GXV) series. In this case it is the GV100 with a bore of 52mm (2.047 in.) and stroke of 46mm (1.811 in.) for a displacement of 97.69 cc (5.96 cu. in.) and approximate HP is 2.5 @ 3600 RPM.

This mower was sold approximately between 1984-1989.

For the owner's manual, click here:
Owner's Manual - Rotary Mower HR173

SPECIFICATIONS FROM MANUAL:
MODEL: HR173

POWER PRODUCTS DESCRIPTION CODE: MA2R

ENGINE: GV100K1
Engine type: Side-valve, single-cylinder, forced air-cooled four-stroke gasoline engine.
Displacement/Bore and stroke: 90 cm3 (5.5 cu. in.)/50 x 46 mm (2.0 x 1.8 in.)
Ignition timing: 20 degrees BTDC
Ignition system: Transistorized magneto ignition
Engine oil capacity: 0.4l (0.42 US qt, 0.35 imp qt)
Fuel tank capacity: 0.9l (0.24 US gal, 0.20 imp gal)
Spark plug: BMR-4A (NGK) or W14MR-U (ND)

FRAME
Dimensions:
Length x width x height: 1410 x 470 x 990 mm (55.5 x 18.5 x 39.0 in)
Dry weight: 22.5 kg (49.6 lb)
Grass bag capacity: 42 l
Cutting width: 420 mm (16.5 in)

And, referring to this link, scroll down to "Lawn Mowers" and you'll see the following related to the HR173.

Model: HR173
Engine: GV100K1
Standard spark plug: NGK BM4A, NGK BMR4A
Spark plug gap: 0.6-0.7 mm (0.024-0.028 in.)
Float level: 10.7-13.3 mm (0.42-0.52 in.)
Engine speed (idle): 2000 +/- 150 RPM (tachometer should indicate between 1850-2150 RPM)
Engine speed (maximum): 3600 +/- 150 RPM (tachometer should indicate between 3450-3750 RPM)
Engine oil capacity: 0.4 qt
Compression: 85 psi
Valve clearance: 0.12 +/- 0.04 mm

Before the HR173, there also existed the HR17 from 1980-1983. It was one of the few small mowers out there that had a BBC (blade brake clutch), and the recoil starter's rope is concealed.
Honda HR17 - 1980 lawn mower

~Ben (OldLawnMowerMan81)

CutWellJohnson

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks alot OldLawnMowerMan81! Thats everything I ever whated to know about the Honda HR173 and more! I am surprised it is that old as the mowers that I saw for sale on the internet looked in great shape so I just assumed that they were newer.

archham

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi - I actually have one of these! My dad bought it new.. It has been a good mower, still was running up until a couple of years ago. My son wants to mow yards for $ and it is small and light enough for him, so I thought I would try to get it running.

Looking for a coil for it, $76 for a new one from Honda. Was searching for another source and ran across this forum. Was hoping to find one used for cheap somewhere to get it running for a year or two....

Threads
You might try looking on your local Kijiji or Craigslist on the net. You might find a cheap used one (That starts!) that can be used for parts or keep it and sell yours for parts and recoup some of your money. When I first saw the HR173 it was on a classified ad and was a machine in what looked like mint condition here in the Toronto area for only $60. Good luck!

Threads
Can anyone tell me abit about a the Honda HR173 mower?
What engine is on it?
Is it any good or just a toy?
Thanks
I think the "toy" thing is that you are referring to its small 17" width of cut, as most lawn mowers have a 20" width of cut. Commercial-use walk-behind mowers of 6.5 hp and under have usually a 21" width of cut.

~Ben

CutWellJohnson

Forum Newbie
Threads
To tell you the truth what I ment by the toy remark had to do the fact that I hadn't seen this mower before and wondered if Honda had put this model out as an affordable mower to compete at the lower end of the market with the big box and department store stuff. Sometimes when a company of quality goods comes out with a lower priced version of their products, they farm out the manufacturing to a generic manufacturer who slaps the companies name on it, but it really is not a very good product but is less expensive. That is really what I ment by the word toy.