hard steer on SX 85

cksk

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, I'm new to the forum, but my mom has a 2004 SX85 (I bought used for her) and it is hard for her to turn the steering wheel. Tires are aired up, don't see anything "out of place" when I look at sector, etc. Have Owner's Manual and can find no info on service of steering. Specs say 14" turning radius, but seems more than that to me (haven't measured it). Any ideas, or it it just the nature of the beast with small wheels, etc.?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Go to both of these pages, print out the diagrams for reference
http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com.deere.u90490.partscatalog.view.servlets.HomePageServlet_Alt
http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com.deere.u90490.partscatalog.view.servlets.HomePageServlet_Alt
There is a grease zerk on both of the steering pins ( # 5 & # 6 )which are retained by a circlip.
Pull the clips and inspect the pins.
If they are badly worn, replace them
if not clean & regrease them with the wheels off the ground so the grease gets to the places that normally have weight on them.
The wheels have a non adjustable tie rod between them. ( # 10 )
Check that you have about 1/2" toe in between the front wheels.
If not remove the tie rod and bend it to shorten the tie rod or replace it

The steering shaft ( # 9 ) has 2 bushes (# 8 & # 10 )these get lubed with a dry lubricant like spray on white Lithium grease ( auto parts store ).
Check they are both round and not flogged out oval if so replace them, a small amount of wear makes a massive difference to the contact between the gear on the shaft (# 9 ) and the fan gear ( # 11 )
Both of these will benefit from some spray grease regularly as well
The teeth on both gears wear and that makes the steering very heavy, but start with the clean & grease first.

Because of the geometry the steer gear it is a lot easier to steer when going backwards and if it has no diff will turn a lot tighter going backwards as well so 3 point turns will be lot easier than foreward turns.
I resell a lot of local mowers which have solid axels and once the customers get used to "backwards" steering they love them and mow around trees & poles backwards