Troybilt starting problem

woodfar

Threads
Troybilt self propelled mower with B&S model 125K05 engine. Replaced air filter housing because it was warped and primer air leaked between carb and filter housing. Cleaned carb. Mower started and ran fine for about 30 mins. then shut off. Let sit for 10 to 15 mins. and started again. Shut mower down and would not restart without sitting for 10 to 15 Mins. Sometimes mower will restart over about 3 to 4 times and then back to having to sit and wait. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
a shot in the dark...FLOODING.....could be ignition problem......hows your spark plug look after it dies?.....how much did you get into the carb?......is this an autochoke model?

woodfar

Threads
Hello, Thanks for responding. I did not take the carb off the engine because it ran fine if started with starter fluid. It is an auto choke. Did not check the plug color.

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
check the plug..not for color...but to see if its wet......so your saying after it dies ..the only way to restart is starting fluid?......"autochoke"....hmm?..suspicious

woodfar

Threads
Haven't tried with starting fluid but will do that. Will go out now and follow your suggestions and let you know. May be tomorrow because heat index is 110 today. Thanks, Ron

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
thats way to hot for the south!:eek:.....i dont even want to know the humidity!

woodfar

Threads
Just came in form trying mower. Starts and runs fine when cold with three pumps of primer. Shut off after five minutes and restarted with a little hesitation. Shut off again and will not start. Plug not wet, tried starting fluid still no go. If I let it sit and cool it will surely start again. Dazed and :confused2:

Edwards saw service

Threads
The problem you may be having is compression. When it warms up the cylinder could expand and the compression rings may not be expanding with it. Test compression on a cold engine. Record your findings let it warm up to full operating temperature shut down and compression test when it's still hot. And compare the difference. If the difference isn't too great. Try a cylinder leak down test to determine if and where compression is leaking

Edwards saw service

Threads
Also if the engine will not start with starting fluid or it putters and dies. That indicates that it is NOT a carburetor problem. It indicates an internal problem with the valves cylinder and or piston and rings.

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
my instinct says ignition....get it up to the point that it dies and quickly pull plug and hold threads against block [with a glove on] and try to start...check for spark....if has none..good chances its your magneto