New to forum but commercial operator

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi folks,
I have been a semi-commercial operator for many years using Ingersoll and Scag machines here in rocky, rooty, hilly New England. I have a 2008 Scag Tiger Cub with a B&S ELS 26 HP engine, 48 inch deck, and a collection system. I also have other machines and equipment. I have been reading some of the Scag threads with interest. I'm a retired mechanic with power equipment, marine, automotive, and aircraft maintenance experience. :biggrin:

PVHIII

Threads
Hi folks,
I have been a semi-commercial operator for many years using Ingersoll and Scag machines here in rocky, rooty, hilly New England. I have a 2008 Scag Tiger Cub with a B&S ELS 26 HP engine, 48 inch deck, and a collection system. I also have other machines and equipment. I have been reading some of the Scag threads with interest. I'm a retired mechanic with power equipment, marine, automotive, and aircraft maintenance experience. :biggrin:

I'm in the mobile automotive interior repair business ( dye carpets,repair leather & vinyl seats and re-dye, repair cig burns in velour, drill holes in dash ) repair just about anything on the interior of a vehicle... I mainly do work for large Car dealerships but an occasionally individuals as well...I've made a descent living in this field for about 15 years now but I travel all over the state to do so and the traveling is getting old and would like to scale back to my local accounts only...bought my first ZTR a few months ago and it was love at first mow lol and triggered my mind into considering getting into the mowing business..there's plenty of mowing accounts around locally but a limited number of automobile dealers (although I have every large dealer in town)..I see you have both Scag and Hustler mowers and was just wondering which you like the most and why and I'm looking for tips and any advice you may have for me just starting out would extremely appreciated Thanks

PVHIII

Threads
Hi folks,

I'm also interested in why you chose the X 1 over the super Z?

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi PVHILL,
The Hustler X-ONE has a 60" rear discharge deck and is used primarily for cemetery mowing. The cemetery assoc of which I am an officer, has had many different makes of ZTRs over the years and not all rear discharge. However a rear discharge machine is the best for grave stone area mowing. Last year our older Hustler Excel machine blew the engine and a large power equipment dealer here in CT had this machine in stock and delivered it to us in a couple days. This dealer actually had 8 X-ONEs/ 60" rear discharge decks, 6 of which went to the State of CT, one to us and the last to another cemetery assoc.
My personal machine is a Scag Tiger Cub/ 48" side discharge/ collection system.
Scag now has rear discharge deck machines available, but this Hustler is a beast!!!!:thumbsup: A Super Z was too fast and is touchier at slower speeds than the X-ONE.
Mowing the entire cemetery takes 2 1/2-3 days and is trimmed by two men during the same time frame.
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

Last edited:

PVHIII

Threads
Hi PVHILL,
The Hustler X-ONE has a 60" rear discharge deck and is used primarily for cemetery mowing. The cemetery assoc of which I am an officer, has had many different makes of ZTRs over the years and not all rear discharge. However a rear discharge machine is the best for grave stone area mowing. Last year our older Hustler Excel machine blew the engine and a large power equipment dealer here in CT had this machine in stock and delivered it to us in a couple days. This dealer actually had 8 X-ONEs/ 60" rear discharge decks, 6 of which went to the State of CT, one to us and the last to another cemetery assoc.
My personal machine is a Scag Tiger Cub/ 48" side discharge/ collection system.
Scag now has rear discharge deck machines available, but this Hustler is a beast!!!!:thumbsup: A Super Z was too fast and is touchier at slower speeds than the X-ONE.
Mowing the entire cemetery takes 2 1/2-3 days and is trimmed by two men during the same time frame.
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

thank you for replying to my to my reply I really appreciate the info I will be purchasing an x1 or a super z and I want to make sure that I make the right decision