2 mowers 2 problems

clusters4400

Threads
Greetings!

My neighbor recently gave me 4 hrx 217.

I should be able to get two of them going strong.

Mower 1.

Starts 1st or 2nd pull. No smoke or lag. It is just polite: it just runs at a low rpm. If I grab the governor plate it revs good with maybe a small backfire when I left off.

Mower 2 doesn't run steady, the governor arm looks like an old steam locomotive. And vibrates.

I've clean the main jet on both to no avail.

Any assistance is welcome! :)

deckeda

Threads
Which HRX217 do you have? If you wind up buying parts, the exact model and serial # could matter. Look on the back near the grass bag chute (on the top) for a plate with that info.

Mower 1:
Instead of moving the governor arm, try disconnecting the throttle cable and manually moving it. Or leave it connected and see if you can still move the linkage on the engine.

If you can get more RPMs, it could mean the cable needs adjustment.

Also, make sure the choke plate is all the way open when warm. Take out the air filter and peek through the opening the air cleaner assembly; you'll be able to just barely see the choke plate.

Mower 2:
The main jet is only part of what needs to be cleaned. Behind it (underneath, depending on your perspective ...) is the emulsion tube. Remove it; make sure you can stick your tiniest welding-cleaning rod through the various holes. Also, there are a few other passages that will benefit from squirting carb cleaner through. In other words, remove the carb again.