2009 John Deere X300 electrical/safety switch problem

dussbake

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / 2009 John Deere X300 electrical/safety switch problem
Hi guys,

I have a X300 as stated above that has me puzzled. I have 12.6 volts at the battery and its getting to one side of the solenoid/contactor. When I turn the key I get nothing on the other side of it going to the starter. There is a single click when I turn the key to the start position but I'm assuming it is the float solenoid at the carburetor. I have since replaced the starter solenoid with a brand new one but same result. My next guess is the brake safety switch because when I press the brake my hour meter goes out. I can release and it comes back on. I've unplugged the brake safety switch and plugged it back in. I also checked for loose or shorted wires but everything is tight. My only other guess would be the ECU that I've replaced once a couple of years after I bought it. Any ideas how to isolate the problem would be helpful and greatly appreciated. To be clear, the PTO switch is off and I am sitting in the seat. :biggrin:

- Dusty

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / 2009 John Deere X300 electrical/safety switch problem
I don't have an X 300 JD Technical manual, but I would very strongly advise you to get one.
It will pay for itself the first time you use it.
Like everything that is properly made & worthwhile it is not cheap but armed with it a person who does not know which end of a screwdriver to hold can do all repairs.

Having said that the wiring is basically the same on all mowers, JD just makes things a bit more confusing by throwing in a few relays.
The cranking is controlled by 2 different circuits.
One is a + 12V one that goes through the ignition switch, PTO switch & brake switch to the starting solenoid + side
The other is a ground switch that goes through both lap bars to the starting solenoid - side.