Bad Boy Maverick 60" vs Hustler Raptor SD 60"

Smyers872

Forum Newbie
Threads
Any thoughts on the Bad Boy Maverick vs the Hustler SD. I am upgrading from a 13 year old Cub Cadet 50" that is too old to handle my new 6 acre property.

mhavanti

Threads
Since you're doing 6 acres. I'd go for a Ferris, Simplicity or the Bad Boy suspension series mowers. Although I have a 2014 Raptor SD60, I'd go for the ride the aforementioned affords. Otherwise, the Raptor SD with a Kawasaki would be my choice if going for the money.

I like the extra wide tires front and rear, great seat and engine guard on the SD60.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

Max

Homer1

Threads
I would opt for the Bad Boy if I was comparing the two myself. I know some Bad Boy owners that love them, but be warned, they are hard on your back. Haven't met many zero turns that aren't though, without the suspension seat upgrade and or shocks like on the Ferris as mentioned previously.

If you do get the Bad Boy, I'd probably go with the Kaw engine. Personal preference, but I seem to hear more positive than negative about them vs Kohler.

Have you considered Scag? Biased of course, but the Patriot comes in right at 6k cash offer, and is a great machine. 3400 hydros (upgrade over the maverick), disc brakes, and the Kaw FX series engines. Guaranteed to last the homeowner most of their life, lol.

If you don't want to spend as much, there are still plenty of options that are a little cheaper, that will still be good machines. Depends on your usage requirements and the amount your mowing I guess.

Smyers872

Forum Newbie
Threads
Since you're doing 6 acres. I'd go for a Ferris, Simplicity or the Bad Boy suspension series mowers. Although I have a 2014 Raptor SD60, I'd go for the ride the aforementioned affords. Otherwise, the Raptor SD with a Kawasaki would be my choice if going for the money.

I like the extra wide tires front and rear, great seat and engine guard on the SD60.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

Max

Thanks, Max. One of the reasons I liked the Bad Boy was the big tires and suspension.

Smyers872

Forum Newbie
Threads
I would opt for the Bad Boy if I was comparing the two myself. I know some Bad Boy owners that love them, but be warned, they are hard on your back. Haven't met many zero turns that aren't though, without the suspension seat upgrade and or shocks like on the Ferris as mentioned previously.

If you do get the Bad Boy, I'd probably go with the Kaw engine. Personal preference, but I seem to hear more positive than negative about them vs Kohler.

Have you considered Scag? Biased of course, but the Patriot comes in right at 6k cash offer, and is a great machine. 3400 hydros (upgrade over the maverick), disc brakes, and the Kaw FX series engines. Guaranteed to last the homeowner most of their life, lol.

If you don't want to spend as much, there are still plenty of options that are a little cheaper, that will still be good machines. Depends on your usage requirements and the amount your mowing I guess.

We have a local Bad Boy dealer but no Scag or Ferris dealer.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
FX is the Kawasaki commercial grade engine, isn't it? At $6K, that sounds like a pretty good deal for the Scag.

Homer1

Threads
I tend to agree, but the OP doesn't have a dealer close by. Sometimes your limited to the folks you have that can service your equipment down the road. I can understand why he's looking at this.

I would buy a Bad Boy any day of the week, so I think he's fine.

mhavanti

Threads
If the two he chose were dollar for dollar the same money. I'd give more consideration to the Bad Boy. Considering the BB is over a grand more. I'd have to stay with the Raptor SD60. For the most part, we all pretty much service our own units so the dealership really isn't that important.

If he has a BB dealership and a Hustler dealership. Pit them against each other and see who will give the best price, most service promises in writing and then go from there.

So far, I can't find anything in the Raptor to be ticked about and it does everything I ask of it.