WD 40 primed thru 2 stroke for long storage ?

possum

Threads
That is a different alcohol than ethanol in gasoline. It does not cause the problems ethanol does. It is a superb cleaner. antifreeze, base stock for other additives, and has about a billion uses in industrial applications. Seafoam was the go to stuff for my fathers generation. They used it and it worked. There is nothing wrong with Stabil, it works very well. It has a shelf life but if it stays red it is still good to use . I buy it by the quart. Years ago oil field service outfits bought a no name brand of stabil or a look alike in 55 gallon drums. They used it in everything, gas and diesel. Later they used drums of military surplus Powerservice, or its lookalike. All the farmers I know in my dads age group used 20 weight motor oil as a fuel additive to prevent rust in their fuel tanks and barrels. All this stuff worked. Still does. If using WD40 scares you to winterize your engines then buy some engine fogger. Donnyboy73 on youtube has stated that any spray lube will work fine. That guy has forgot more than most know myself included. I have used WD40 on guns, doors, locks, screws, bug guts, blood, windows, lawnmowers, tools, and any metal part painted or not for 50 years. I have locks that are 40 years old and have been outside all that time. They work just fine. My firearms have no rust, they are old. They have been used in horrible conditions. Is there better spray lubes? No doubt. But WD40 is still a good product.

Icutmetl

Forum Newbie
Threads
They make fogging oil in a can...

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes they do.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I just saw this thread for some reason. Anyway, WD 40 is a great product but I don't think I would put it in an engine for storage. It will wash the lubricants out of the engine and cause it more harm than good I believe. A penetrating oil maybe but not WD40.

WD 40 is a water disbersant. It is actually not a good lubricant.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Innox would be better.
As previously mentioned WF 40 is not and never will be a lubricant.
Like penetrating oil, it will get between things and allow them to move over each other, for a short while till it evaporates.

Luffydog

Threads
Sometimes I used it to soak something for a little while but never for a long storage.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks, Yea that handle (Numbers) got started here. :laughing:

I wonder who did DAT ?? .. :laughing:..:laughing:

I don't think the W-D 40 is a good idea, Being in Fl. I really don't have to worry about winter storage, even when we get to "FREEZING" (LOL) here I usually get out to start and move my machines around, to keep everything moving at least a few times a month, I do run my trimmers and Stick-edgers till empty but with Lucas fuel treatment in the final tank of fuel, replace all filters EVERY season sooner if need be !

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well, I guess the general consensus is unanimous. I will tell my friend to go jump in the lake. :laughing:

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
If I'm not mistaken, WD40 is a petroleum based product, is it not? If that be the case, then any thing else that's a petroleum based material, like plastic, it will actually deteriorate it, in a sort of way.

When I first started driving a truck, the floors were all rubber. So I tried to clean them with WD-40. Because it's a good cleaner. And I like the smell. (Reminds me of my dad) Anyways it didn't matter how much whiped the floors, the rags would get black. I could use a whole role of paper towels, and the last one would still whipe off black.
A friend of mine told me how WD will break up or mix with the rubber.

So, it was back to soap & water.