WD 40 primed thru 2 stroke for long storage ?

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Penetrating oil maybe but definitely not WD 40. WD 40 is a water dispersant not really a good lubricant. It will wash the oil out of the engine and if anything I believe do it more harm than good.

I know you can clean a gun with WD 40 and within days the barrels will be rusting.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Penetrating oil maybe but definitely not WD 40. WD 40 is a water dispersant not really a good lubricant. It will wash the oil out of the engine and if anything I believe do it more harm than good.

I know you can clean a gun with WD 40 and within days the barrels will be rusting.

I used WD-40 on guns, but no longer. Never noticed any rust but surfaces where the WD-40 didn't get wiped off would have a gummy, dirt-holding residue.

Lawn Addict
Threads
"gummy, dirt-holding residue".

Certainly not a good thing.

deminin

Threads
I've had good results on items in storage by adding a small amount of Sta-Bil to the fuel, and running the engine a few minutes before letting it sit idle for weeks/months. But, then, even when I have something sitting idle for the Winter, etc., I still fire it up every month or two and let it run for 5 minutes. Mowers, trimmers, generator, chainsaws, log splitter, garden tiller, etc....I keep them all "exercised" a bit...that way, when it comes time to use them, I can usually count on them working without spending hours of fiddling and rebuilding. About the Only "tool" I use year round is my Kubota tractor, and I add a small amount of diesel fuel stabilizer to it with each tank full.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've had good results on items in storage by adding a small amount of Sta-Bil to the fuel, and running the engine a few minutes before letting it sit idle for weeks/months. But, then, even when I have something sitting idle for the Winter, etc., I still fire it up every month or two and let it run for 5 minutes. Mowers, trimmers, generator, chainsaws, log splitter, garden tiller, etc....I keep them all "exercised" a bit...that way, when it comes time to use them, I can usually count on them working without spending hours of fiddling and rebuilding. About the Only "tool" I use year round is my Kubota tractor, and I add a small amount of diesel fuel stabilizer to it with each tank full.

Read the fine print on a bottle of Sta-Bil, it has a shelf life of only 2 years once the bottle is opened. After that it gets sticky & useless. And as a stabilizer is only supposed to be good for 1 year.

I don't like to run my stuff for such short intervals during storage, it doesn't get hot or run long enough to burn out the condensation.

Seafoam* is what my Dad used & I have been using it ever since, almost 50 years now.

deminin

Threads
Read the fine print on a bottle of Sta-Bil, it has a shelf life of only 2 years once the bottle is opened. After that it gets sticky & useless. And as a stabilizer is only supposed to be good for 1 year.

I don't like to run my stuff for such short intervals during storage, it doesn't get hot or run long enough to burn out the condensation.

Seafoam* is what my Dad used & I have been using it ever since, almost 50 years now.

To each his own...this routine has been working for me, for years. If you like Seafoam, use it.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thank You. Not trying to pizz ya off.

FWIW: I was just trying to let you know once you open Sta-Bil, might wanna write the date on that bottle, cause it will go bad.

deminin

Threads
Thank You. Not trying to pizz ya off.

FWIW: I was just trying to let you know once you open Sta-Bil, might wanna write the date on that bottle, cause it will go bad.

I just buy a small bottle...enough for one Winters use...nothing lasts forever. I make sure that I use any spare gas by just putting it in the car or truck after it sits for more than a couple of months, and keep enough fresh gas to run my stuff for a few minutes every few weeks. We have a local gas station that has Ethanol free Premium gas, and that's all I run in my Stihl chainsaws....the extra 25 cents/gallon saves needless repairs, IMO. Knock Wood...I haven't had to rebuild or replace a carburetor in years.

Lawn Addict
Threads
That's all I use as well, 100% gas. 87 octane in my mowers & in my wacker & blower I use 93 octane, 2 stroke mix & 1 ounce of Seafoam.

Seafoam (after opening) can sit on the shelf for 20 years & not go bad. For stabilizing, good for 2 years.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
According to the Seafoam SDS, it is composed of a proprietary 'hydrocarbon blend' and isopropanol, i.e., alcohol. The alcohol content is specified as "less than 25% by weight."

You do realize you're going to the trouble of buying alcohol-free gasoline, only to add alcohol back in with Seafoam?

I could not find what the composition of the 'hydrocarbon blend' is but unless I miss my guess, it's petroleum distillates (aka, kerosene) mixed with naptha (lighter fluid) or xylene, (paint thinner), all of which are deliberately excluded from gasoline by the refineries.