LTX 1046 PTO won't engage after blade change

kajtreece

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello! I changed the mower blades on my 2011 LTX 1046 (I believe it's a Kohler engine). It has the spring that attaches a cable from the PTO lever to the pulley bracket on the mower deck. I had a little trouble getting that spring detached and re-attached and pulled on the cable more than I wanted to. Other than that, removing the deck and replacing the blades went pretty smoothly, I thought. But now, the PTO won't engage and I cannot figure out why! The PTO lever does cause the pulley to move on the mower deck, but it seems like the belt may be still too loose perhaps? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

watty89

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am having the exact same problem push the PTO handle down to engage blades nothing if you raise to mower deck up the belt will slip bust the blades will spin up lower the deck and they quit I have ordered a new PTO cable and pto lever bearings and I put a new belt on before I ordered them as it seemed very loose when the blades where engaged I'm confused on what is wrong with it

CrashBandit

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello! I changed the mower blades on my 2011 LTX 1046 (I believe it's a Kohler engine). It has the spring that attaches a cable from the PTO lever to the pulley bracket on the mower deck. I had a little trouble getting that spring detached and re-attached and pulled on the cable more than I wanted to. Other than that, removing the deck and replacing the blades went pretty smoothly, I thought. But now, the PTO won't engage and I cannot figure out why! The PTO lever does cause the pulley to move on the mower deck, but it seems like the belt may be still too loose perhaps? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

So I have the same mower, same year, did the same thing (also feeling like I'd pulled too hard to get the spring off) and got the same result. The blades now won't engage and the pto handle feels spongy and doesn't go all the way back to the off position. Did you ever resolve this issue? Any help would be appreciated.

kajtreece

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes, I did get my mower to work! The PTO lever had been slightly bent, and changing the blades somehow kept the pto from engaging. I used a very large screwdriver to brace against the lever (I got underneath, near where it attaches) then pushed hard against the handle toward the back of the mower. The goal is to bend the lever back because pushing it to engage the pto must cause it to bend forward over time. I still have to do this occasionally, but it causes the PTO to engage. I found this solution on the internet, and the person who figured it out eventually just replaced the lever.

CrashBandit

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the reply. Glad to hear you solved the issue. I gave it a half hearted attempt with no luck. I'll give it another shot when I have more time. Thanks again!!

CJDore

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes, I did get my mower to work! The PTO lever had been slightly bent, and changing the blades somehow kept the pto from engaging. I used a very large screwdriver to brace against the lever (I got underneath, near where it attaches) then pushed hard against the handle toward the back of the mower. The goal is to bend the lever back because pushing it to engage the pto must cause it to bend forward over time. I still have to do this occasionally, but it causes the PTO to engage. I found this solution on the internet, and the person who figured it out eventually just replaced the lever.

Can you provide internet link as i have the same problem?

MATOSL

Forum Newbie
Threads

It sounds like when you pulled the deck and disengaged the PTO cable you put a kink in it. this will not allow it to work.