Weedeater PE550 2 cycle edger will not start..need some expert advice please

shelby5041

Threads
  • / Weedeater PE550 2 cycle edger will not start..need some expert advice please
hi

i have to say im struggling with this one..i have been tinkering with this weedeater PE550 gas edger for a couple weeks now...it started ok couple years ago but now it will not start now.

i will give you some condensed info of what i have done so it may help you direct me to next step to get this thing running or trash it

during my process of troubleshooting it this year....the primer bulb and gas lines fell apart...so i have replaced those with new parts.

i do get spark....and .if i put some fuel in the spark plug hole it tries to start after about 10-15 pulls....it struggles but eventually it will start for a fraction of a second...

i took carb 100% apart and cleaned with carb cleaner.....i then reassembled and still no start

i can push the primer 100 times and when i take spark plug out i see no sign of fuel....is this normal?

would a carb rebuild kit fix this?....carb needs replacing?...or could i have another issue why it wont start

carburetor is a walbro wt-630 i believe carb with primer bulb built in....pretty common on many 2 cycle yard products

any help would be appreciated...

thank you

shelby5041

Threads
  • / Weedeater PE550 2 cycle edger will not start..need some expert advice please
would like to add

when i did take carb apart i did not see anything unusual..it was pretty clean..the screens were clean..no evidence of anything visually gunky

i sprayed carb cleaner in all the holes i could see per online tutorials

and like i said it will not even try to start at all without putting fuel in spark plug hole

this tells me it should be a carb issue but......i figured cleaning carb should have resolved this issue but it didnt

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The problem with the primer bulb carbs is there is check valves inside to make them work properly. If those check valves stick open it won't prime, and most of the time it won't start. If they stick shut you don't get any fuel into the engine. Most of the time the cost of the replacement carb is cheap enough to just replace it.

shelby5041

Threads
and fyi primer bulb fills up with fuel fine so its not a fuel filter ...fuel delivery to bulb issue

shelby5041

Threads
a replacement carb is about $27.00

would a carb rebuild kit help me with this no fuel issue?

but yes i can prime 50 times and fuel just goes into bulb and excess back into tank

it seems none is going into combustion chamber at all

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
OK so you have an air purge bulb. IT removes air from the system. It does not prime the engine. If it did then you would flood the engine every time you pushed the bulb.

shelby5041

Threads
Ok...guess I'm confused

How does fuel get into,combustion chamber then.....I have no fuel in chamber at all....

shelby5041

Threads
My lawn mower primer bulb shoots fuel into carb....I guess not same as 2 cycle engines primer bulb...

Why would I have no fuel issue....I have taken carb apart and cleaned 100%....

Still no fuel in combustion chamber

primerbulb120

Threads
My lawn mower primer bulb shoots fuel into carb....I guess not same as 2 cycle engines primer bulb...

Why would I have no fuel issue....I have taken carb apart and cleaned 100%....

Still no fuel in combustion chamber

Your lawn mower carb and edger carb work differently. The mower just has a primer bulb which shoots fuel into the carb throat. The edger has both a primer bulb and a choke. The primer bulb simply removes air from the fuel lines for an easier start. The choke is used to enrich the fuel mixture. You can start a 2 cycle without the primer bulb if you pull it a few times extra (fuel pump will purge air from the lines.) You can't start a 2 cycle without choke unless you give it a shot of starting fluid.

shelby5041

Threads
Your lawn mower carb and edger carb work differently. The mower just has a primer bulb which shoots fuel into the carb throat. The edger has both a primer bulb and a choke. The primer bulb simply removes air from the fuel lines for an easier start. The choke is used to enrich the fuel mixture. You can start a 2 cycle without the primer bulb if you pull it a few times extra (fuel pump will purge air from the lines.) You can't start a 2 cycle without choke unless you give it a shot of starting fluid.

Ok thank you...why do people say the primer bulb floods 2 cycle engine so?

And what would cause no fuel issue in a 2 cycle carb..walbro