Repairs Simplicity 20/50 Kohler 1694455 Working the bugs out

U

unclecrash

• / Simplicity 20/50 Kohler 1694455 Working the bugs out
Well had to pull the tank the grommet is shot. HERE IS ALL THE JUNK i FOUND IN THE TANK. LOL bunch of hacks. Everything you see was in it other than the aluminum elbow geez tops of gas cans extra gas line and plumbing. What a bitch to get the baffle out to get all the crap out. Anyone know if the gas gauge just pops out by prying it. The pic of the new one looks like its just a push fit. Cant see it being any other way no way to get in the tank to put a nut under it.

Attachments

• simplicity zeroturn.jpg
    simplicity zeroturn.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Photo071simplicity mower.jpg
    Photo071simplicity mower.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 7
  • Photo072  simplicity zeroturn.jpg
    Photo072 simplicity zeroturn.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Photo074 junk in the tank.jpg
    Photo074 junk in the tank.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 12
U

unclecrash

Anyone know how the gas gauge comes out. Im assuming from looking at the photo of the new one it is just press fit and just pry"s out .

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Push in pry out with grommet.

U

unclecrash

Push in pry out with grommet.
Thank's wanted to make sure before I dug in and broke something.. Replaced the belts and I know there is a bad idler pulley wobbling a bit. getting a poppind sound every now and then almost like a rock hitting the deck but its not does it randomly. Think its the idler could be a bad bearing in a spindle they were dry and you know what happens after you grease them after being dry kind of like a dry ujoint they usually dont last long. I did notice I got the belt on with the tension-er in the middle hole which states its for 44inch deck goes to switch it back

U

unclecrash

rebuilding spindles

Getting ready to rebuild the spindles . Wondering why the bearing use seals on the inside. Wouldnt it be better to remove the inner seals being there is a zerk on the spindle?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Seals on bearings do not seal.
They are more of a dust & debris shield .
In reality the bearings are a lot more happier running inside their shields.
The zerks are a throw back from the days when open bearings or tapered rollers were fitted.
I grease the outside of the top of the lower bearing, about 1/2" so water does not pool on top of them and get sucked in when the bearing cools down after use.

U

unclecrash

OK thanks for the tip . Got them out tonight going to tear down tomorrow.

U

unclecrash

Tore down spindles

Wondering do you guys use the foam seals or just rtv seal the half's together? Also curious if the bearing are pressed in or just a snug fit because mine all popped out with just finger pressure.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Bearings on aluminum spendles a r e normally held in place by the shaft not the casing. So should come out when the shaft does. I have found a few that where not that way but not many.

U

unclecrash

My spindles are steel ,they appear to be stamped. But they do get held in by the shaft as soon as you undo the pulley from the top of the spindle then everything comes apart like you say. I ordered all new spacers and washers , bearings. Shafts looked like new.