Repairs Honda HRB216 Mower - Help diagnosing new sound

Matthew J

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey everyone, I am new to the forum and I have a question regarding my HRB216 mower. I have owned the mower for 10 years already and it has been great. No issues at all, just regular maintenance.

The last time I went to mow the lawn I noticed a "grinding" noise when the mower is started but the blade is not engaged. It only makes the sound when its idling, as soon as I engage the blade the sound goes away. When I release the blade control the "grinding" sound comes back slowly. I checked the blade clutch and it seems to be working correctly.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing the sound? Is it possible the blade clutch is still the culprit even though it still mows just fine?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

golfergordy

Threads
I had the same experience with an HR215 SX that I bought (used) last Fall. It made the same noise you described, and only when idling with the clutch not engaged, when I used it a few times last year. Before using it this Spring, I thoroughly cleaned the underside of the deck, knocking off a thick layer of caked on dirt, and I also tried to clean the clutch plates the best I could without removing the clutch. Amazingly, the noise did not return - I've used it maybe 6-7 times this year.

Matthew J

Forum Newbie
Threads
I had the same experience with an HR215 SX that I bought (used) last Fall. It made the same noise you described, and only when idling with the clutch not engaged, when I used it a few times last year. Before using it this Spring, I thoroughly cleaned the underside of the deck, knocking off a thick layer of caked on dirt, and I also tried to clean the clutch plates the best I could without removing the clutch. Amazingly, the noise did not return - I've used it maybe 6-7 times this year.

Thank you. I think I am going to change the blade clutch and see what happens. The parts are only about $35 to get those so we will see what happens. I will updated the thread once I change the parts out. Thanks!

deckeda

Threads
So you're going to buy a part and wrestle with it, when cleaning alone might fix it?

It's my understanding that the only time the clutch is bad is when it's worn and slipping, from someone "riding it" (engaging it very slowly or partially, often.)

golfergordy

Threads
Thank you. I think I am going to change the blade clutch and see what happens. The parts are only about $35 to get those so we will see what happens. I will updated the thread once I change the parts out. Thanks!

I didn't mention it in my previous reply, but I also removed, cleaned off, painted and reinstalled the scroll guide, when I cleaned the caked on dirt off the underside of the deck from my HR215. I also originally 1st suspected the clutch, but that wasn't it. If I were you, I would remove, clean, and reinstall the clutch before replacing it with a new one, and thoroughly inspect the underside of the deck for any possible vibration noise.

Matthew J

Forum Newbie
Threads
So you're going to buy a part and wrestle with it, when cleaning alone might fix it?

It's my understanding that the only time the clutch is bad is when it's worn and slipping, from someone "riding it" (engaging it very slowly or partially, often.)

Considering that the mower is almost 15 years old I think changing the clutch is not a bad idea. The local Honda shop also suggested that this could be the issue. So yeah, I am going to give it a whirl and see what happens, its the best option for me I think at this point.