Question about adding a magneto kill switch to bypass wiring problems

kulardenu

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Question about adding a magneto kill switch to bypass wiring problems
I have a Simplicity Coronet Hydro 12.5 Kohler 34" deck. Has a starting issue I can't nail down. Frequently No Sparks situation and now it won't at all. I can get spark when removing the kill wire from magneto. What I'm wondering is to get the lawn mowed, can I remove that wire and just put in a toggle switch from ground to magneto without hurting engine? Wiring is a mess and already has the seat switch removed.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sounds good no problem there. You do know by doing so will bypass all safety switches, so be careful.

kulardenu

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sounds good no problem there. You do know by doing so will bypass all safety switches, so be careful.

Will it still charge battery OK?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Will it still charge battery OK?

If you still have everything else hooked up right it should charge the battery OK. The kill switch circuit is negative power not positive.

kulardenu

Forum Newbie
Threads
If you still have everything else hooked up right it should charge the battery OK. The kill switch circuit is negative power not positive.
Great! Thanx for your input. That lawn is getting high!

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
If your mower doesn't have a electric clutch or lights you shouldn't even need a charging system. Just buy yourself a small battery charger to keep the battery charged.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

Double ditto on this, you fall off , get off etc the mower ain't going to stop never recommended to do except for diagnosis so please be careful and hunt down the broken switch / wire.
Check under the dash as a lot of switches have a separate ground wire, not part of the main plug and usually screwed onto the body a short distance away ( saves wire ) and there are prone to coming undone or falling off.