Hayter Osprey clutch

stugordon

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an old (1980s at a guess) Hayter Osprey rough cut mower.
The problem I have is the previous owner covered the drive chain in greese but went a bit over board doing so. Now from what I see the clutch slips so bad it won't propel its self along as the clutch slips so much.
Being so old I haven't been able to locate a new drive sprocket/ clutch plate. (They are the same unit, a fibre plate on each side of the sprocket)
Not knowing how much fibre plate should be on each side of the sprocket I'm unsure if the clutch requires replacing or not. There's a good 5 or 6mm if not more on each side of the sprocket so I'm guessing that that should be enough to operate the machine. Is this the case or should it be thicker?
Assuming there's plenty of clutch plate there & the only reason it won't power itself along is due to greese on the plates would it be possible to soak the clutch plate / sprocket in something like brake & clutch cleaner to remove all traces of greese?? I wiped it with carb cleaner quickly & put back together where it worked for a short period of time however it soon started slipping again to the point of me pushing the mower along which is far from ideal bearing in mind how big & heavy these old mowers are.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks Stu

mistermowerman

Threads
I have an old (1980s at a guess) Hayter Osprey rough cut mower.
The problem I have is the previous owner covered the drive chain in greese but went a bit over board doing so. Now from what I see the clutch slips so bad it won't propel its self along as the clutch slips so much.
Being so old I haven't been able to locate a new drive sprocket/ clutch plate. (They are the same unit, a fibre plate on each side of the sprocket)
Not knowing how much fibre plate should be on each side of the sprocket I'm unsure if the clutch requires replacing or not. There's a good 5 or 6mm if not more on each side of the sprocket so I'm guessing that that should be enough to operate the machine. Is this the case or should it be thicker?
Assuming there's plenty of clutch plate there & the only reason it won't power itself along is due to greese on the plates would it be possible to soak the clutch plate / sprocket in something like brake & clutch cleaner to remove all traces of greese?? I wiped it with carb cleaner quickly & put back together where it worked for a short period of time however it soon started slipping again to the point of me pushing the mower along which is far from ideal bearing in mind how big & heavy these old mowers are.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks Stu

Hello, i think you are right about too much grease ,make sure the metal clutch drive faces are clean and maybe give them a bit of a rub with some emery cloth to get rid of the glaze. Also make sure that your clutch cable is adjusted so that when drive is engaged there is no tension on the cable .Gary