Lawnboy D400 5233 Question

2smoked

Threads
I totally agree, I remember seeing the Ads that bragged about the F series engines as having the fewest of any parts of all the Lawnboy engines. From what I understand it was a very competitive time for walk-behinds. All the manufacturers were cutting corners, and it continues today, hence the reason for what we see today in the big box stores compared to what we saw 20 or 30 years ago. Cast aluminum is almost unheard of now except for the commercial units. I think I'll stick with the old equipment, it should last me until I get to the retirement home. People laugh at me when I give such a generous quote on the value of a "Well maintained" 40 or 50 year mower, but I still think they worth more than going to a box store and spending 300 on a 5 year disposable unit. The key words here are "Well maintained".

I agree totally.

Racinbob

Forum Newbie
Threads
I agree totally.

gents - I am pleased to say the mower is back together and works fine. Once I got the carb filled it started on the second pull and settled down to a nice idle. I just ran it 20 minutes without a hiccup.

If any of you have a spare carb/reed plate that you would like to sell, I'd like to buy it. Mine was broken by the crank and my crude fix of filling it with gasket maker and retaining it with strap is effective for the time being. But I note it was wet underneath and it may blow out at some point.

Also if anybody has a need for the original piston, barrel or that crank that came with the new engine, let me know. The original piston bore got notched by broken crank but my bet is it would not affect the piston function. I'll send it with a return envelope. Pay me UPS + $5 for the hassle and I am fine.
2017-06-17 17.24.47.jpg
2017-06-25 19.04.00.jpg2017-06-19 20.57.59.jpg

Lawnboy77

Threads
Glad it's back up and running, I'll check for that reed plate tomorrow and let you know. I'm pretty sure I have a spare or two.

Racinbob

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, that would be a big help. By the way, my new best tool is my M20 Milwaukee power ratchet. It's really handy like when you are sitting on the back step, with the deck across your legs and you are tightening the bolts that hold the engine to the deck.
2017-06-17 18.43.49.jpg

Racinbob

Forum Newbie
Threads
Glad it's back up and running, I'll check for that reed plate tomorrow and let you know. I'm pretty sure I have a spare or two.

By the way, I found this plate on ebay that looks to be it. If you want to avoid the hassle, I can just by the ebay one. let me know
reed.jpg

Lawnboy77

Threads
By the way, I found this plate on ebay that looks to be it. If you want to avoid the hassle, I can just by the ebay one. let me know
View attachment 32913

Okay yeah that sounds good, just go ahead and get one off of ebay. It seems like those are going for a very fair price. Thanks, it's kind of a busy time for me right now.

Racinbob

Forum Newbie
Threads
Looking at the ebay listing, I see a bunch of seemingly identical reed plates having different numbers. My plate is 604233. There are several who's numbers are close but not exactly the same. Soooo.

My old plate works on the new mower, and the passage seems to be the same. Are there differences?

Here is an Ebay ad; LINK

I really don't see any differences but the numbers are different.
2017-06-17 16.10.12.jpg

Racinbob

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just curious for your opinion, are these casting numbers or is there some difference that beats the eye.....
Here's my improvised fix.
2017-06-17 16.10.12.jpg2017-06-17 16.39.50.jpg2017-06-17 17.24.47.jpg