Briggs & Stratton possible coil fault?

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
WHY are you posting the SAME issue several times ........ it makes for confusion !!

CWatters

Threads
Does this Briggs have the double barrel carb on it. Read Thur the post haven't seen any engine numbers unless I just over looked them.

The engine is a 441677 type 0136 E1. Not sure if it's a double barrel carb, don't think so. The B&S parts list for this engine say it's an 699807 which Google finds all over the web but no obvious mention of it being a double.

CWatters

Threads
I wish you had kept this thread running cause we could possibly have saved you a lot of money on replacing good parts.
Fuel lines are always suspect.
Down here we get just about every waste product solvent added to what is sold as "fuel" ( cause it is not petrol ) .
Thus fuel lines take a beating, and this is before ethanol damage.
So yes replace the fuel lines , use good ones from a mower shop, not cheap off ebay, a lot of it is stuff that failed the mower companies QC and was rejected.
Also get some sort of spare tank, one off an old push mower will be fine.
When the mower plays up, quickly hook up the alternative tank , even if you have to hold it up in the air with your hand.
If the problem goes away then you have loose or floating debris in the fuel tank that gets sucked into the outlet and partially plugs it so the mower is just not getting quite enough fuel.
If there are any leaks in the fuel lines then the pump will pull air into the lines ( bubbles in the filter )
When you take the old filter off, cut it in 1/2 lengthways so you can see the position of the outlet.
I often fit them backwards to prevent air locks.
They work exactly the same either way except the right way around the debris will be visible on the outside of the element and backwards the debris will be hidden inside the element.
Filters are cheap so they should get replaced every season or so thus it does not really matter and the flow from them is easily tested.

The filters I've been using have an arrow on them to indicate the intended flow direction. Installed that way the dirt would be visible through the outer casing of the filter which is transparent. I've never seen anything in the filter but have replaced them regularly. Had to replace it again a month back when I broke it in my frustration trying to get the fuel line off quickly.

If I pull it off before the filter fuel flows out under gravity rapidly so pretty sure nothing in the tank causing a blockage.

Generally the fuel here in the UK seems pretty good. I use the same fuel in my car and fill cans at the same time.

Think if there is a fuel system issue it's probably nearer the engine but I have new pipe on order and will work through the system starting at the tank again just to be sure.

CWatters

Threads
Possibly solved...

Ok so yesterday I drained the tank and replaced all the fuel lines from tank to carb. Some of the lines looked like they might have tiny cracks/splits near where they connected to things like the tank or fuel switch. I don't think any went right through and no fuel leaks detected.

I let the tank dry out with the filler cap off and had a look inside before vacuuming out the inside. There was some debris in there but I couldn't say anything was a definite candidate to block the outlet.

However I was surprised how small the fuel outlet was. I didn't measure it but it was slightly under 3mm (<1/8") so I can see how a blockage might occur. There is also no "upstand" so if you do run out of gas anything in there could go down the fuel pipe.

Anyway I filtered the gas and put that back in. Today I spent nearly two hours cutting grass and it didn't cut out on me! It did hiccup but that was when I was going over some rather bumpy ground.

It's a bit early to say it's solved/fixed because the grass was quite short but I will post back here to confirm.