Front wheel grease

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
FWIW, the seals on bearings are just dust seals they do not stop water being forced or drawn into the bearing.
Some states ( California or instance ) appear not to allow zerks to be fitted guess is to prevent grease falling into the lawn.
I have noticed the Californian mowers that get imported into Aust do not have zerks while the general USA models do have zerks so guess it is an EPA thing.
A few Toros I have serviced had bolts fitted that I was suppose to remove, fit a zerk, apply grease then replace the bolt Californian Time Masters
The same mower without a warning sticker "not to be used or sold in California" has zerks fitted

Lawn Addict
Threads
Bert- Yep sounds like Cali.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I don't understand what the fuss is about California. They seem to understand we need to keep our environment clean or we will lose it. Its time we all wake up and understand this. Do you just dump your old oil and grease on your lawn?? Yes just a small amount but through many years it become a large amount.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I think I have already answered this in another post so won't do it again.

The problem is people making legislation who have no idea about what they are legislating against and are just playing popularist pollitics while actually making total pollution far worse.
I had a very public arguement with one of the groups down here who consider themselves to be consummer advocates.
They are working tooth and nail to get all 2 cycle engines banned and ultimately all fuel powered "dirty" lawn care products replaced with nice clean electric ones.
Ultimately the person conceeded ( in private ) that they wer wrong, but the campaign continues ( because it is trendy )
What was calculated,
1) if every house in Sydney ( 400,000 ) of them ran their 2 stroke mowers all day ( full 24 hours ) the amount of pollution was the same as 1 jumbo jet ( 4 engine ) taking off from Mascot airport.
Mascot has 150 take off a day.
2) the embedded pollution in a battery powered mower is greater than the embedded pollution is a petrol powered 2 stroke mower plus 5 years of useage.
3) the embedded pollution in a 4 stroke alloy engined lawn mower is 5 times higher than the cast iron 2 stroke most popular down here but the pollution is only 1.15 times higher on the 2 stroke thus it would take 22 years before their total pollutions ( embedded & running) were equal.
However the modern 4 stroke has a design life of 10 years, an average service life of 15 years while the 3 stroke has a design life of 20 years and an actual service life of near 40 years.

Like a lot of things, if you can see it ( 2 stroke smoke ) it must be bad but if you can not see it ( foundry smoke , mining pollution etc etc ) then it does not exist.

Now if you are really serious about saving the planet then get a campaign up & running about ensuring all products sold in the USA have a long service life and all products sold in the USA meet current USA standards.
You embed almost the same pollution in making a cheap chains saw that will only work for 50 yours as you do making a quality one that lasts for 50 years.
All that stuff you see in the dump = pollution in it's manufacture, transport then disposal.
If we stopped making trash products then we would exceed our carbon abatement goals hands down.
The stuff we buy will be 20% more expensive but last 10 times as long thus saving us a fortune in the long run and we would all be better off, except the owners of Walmart & Lowes who would have to live on a mesley $20,000,000 a year in place of the $ 200,000,000 a year they now make bu killing the planet.

turboawd

Threads
I don't understand what the fuss is about California. They seem to understand we need to keep our environment clean or we will lose it. Its time we all wake up and understand this. Do you just dump your old oil and grease on your lawn?? Yes just a small amount but through many years it become a large amount.

you have a point, but when big oil companies dump millions of barrels of oil in the gulf for example, i tend to care less.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I agree ppl need to be more pro-active on caring for this planet.

I always take my used oil to local auto parts store & dump it in their recycle receptacle.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I agree ppl need to be more pro-active on caring for this planet.

I always take my used oil to local auto parts store & dump it in their recycle receptacle.

More of a feel good gesture than a genuine ecological one, unless you buy and use recycled oil.
Down here that accounts for around 1.5% of engine oil used and just about the only customer is the government because advertising companies convinced us that recycled oil will cause our car to burst into flames and all our children the grow an extra head..
Same thing with retreaded tyres a massive pollution problem as old tyres usually get stockpiled then have a horrible accident and all catch fire, making emission levels a joke.
That oil you took to the store goes to a processing plant, boiled to remover water , filtered to remove particulates then sold to shipping companies to power ships once they are outside the USA ( or Aust in my case ) teritorial waters where they run the ship on it.
Cruise ships switch over after dark so the travellers do not see the dense black smoke polluting the air over the oceans, freight ships do not care. Again making emission laws a joke.

As previously mentioned, if you really want to save the planet, only buy good quality locally made goods and stay out of Walmart.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
you have a point, but when big oil companies dump millions of barrels of oil in the gulf for example, i tend to care less.

So you are saying everybody should care less. Big oil company money is much more important then our environment. 100 years from now we wouldn't be here to see it so who cares. Bert said the grease in your lawn makes good fertilizer. My lawn when ever I have any lube spill onto the grass it kills it.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
So you are saying everybody should care less. Big oil company money is much more important then our environment. 100 years from now we wouldn't be here to see it so who cares. Bert said the grease in your lawn makes good fertilizer. My lawn when ever I have any lube spill onto the grass it kills it.

Yes the initial spill will kill the grass.
The bacteria take time to break it down.
A bit latter on the grass will grow back better than it was before.
I use cheap paper towel in the workshop.
This gets tossed into the compost bin and I grow vegies in the compost that comes out of the bin.
Ditto for the sawdust used for bigger spills any cotton rags and all the grass, oil soaked or dry & clean that comes off the mowers I fix.