Repairs Hard Shifting on Craftsman Rider

bmiller

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 1995 Craftsman Rider (model: 917.257644). When the engine is off the shifter works normally, but when the engine is running the gear shift is very hard to move between gears. I am guessing that the clutch isn't fully disengaging the belt and that the continued motion of the pulley is the problem, but i don't see any obvious adjustments in the clutch / idler pulley system. Will a new belt do the trick? Looking for ideas. Thanks!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No a new belt will make it worse.
Pull the belt off and check the pulleys that tension the belt when the clutch /brake pedal is released.
Good chance the holes will be flogged out or there will be debris in there preventing full travel.

Threads
I have a 1995 Craftsman Rider (model: 917.257644). When the engine is off the shifter works normally, but when the engine is running the gear shift is very hard to move between gears. I am guessing that the clutch isn't fully disengaging the belt and that the continued motion of the pulley is the problem, but i don't see any obvious adjustments in the clutch / idler pulley system. Will a new belt do the trick? Looking for ideas. Thanks!

The manual for my older Sears say to depress the Brake/clutch 1/2 way to shift. My mower will not shift at all with the motor off. I do not know how old it is yet, still trying to interpret the model #. Model 536.255133