Honda HRR Models: Rear Wheels Locking Up When Pulling Backwards

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Honda HRR Models: Rear Wheels Locking Up When Pulling Backwards
Honda issued a Service Bulletin on this problem earlier this spring; the issue is the bushings may be undersized, causing increased friction between the bushing the the transmision's axle.

34774573651_d74f5d218e_o.png

The fix is to replace the adjuster arms, which have countermeasure bushings.

Step 1: First, verify your mower is in the affected range; if it is NOT, you have a different problem.
Affected model list is as follows:

HRR216K9VKA serial numbers MZCG-8670001-9933580
HRR216K9VLA serial numbers MZCG-8670001-9933580
HRR216K9VYA serial numbers MZCG-8670001-9933580

Step 2: Normal warranty applies; if your mower is still under warranty, is having a pull-back issue, and is in the above range, Honda will replace the adjusters under warranty. All Honda dealers are authorized to do this warranty repair, even if you didn't buy it from them. Beware that some dealers may offer more flexible repair schedules for those customer who did.

Find A Honda Dealer

If the dealer doesn't seem aware, tell him to look at Honda Power Equipment Lawn Mower Service Bulletin #107.

Step 3: If you're out of warranty, a dealer can still do the repair. Most will charge about 45 minutes to 1 hour of shop time for this job, but that's totally up to them. List price for each adjuster is $12.10.

Step 4: If you'd like to DIY, it's not a bad job. You need to remove the rear wheels and all the parts on the drive axle, which include a couple of circlips, so you may need to buy a circlip pliers. A bench is a big help to hold the mower in an easy-to-work-on position; note this requires the fuel and oil to be drained:

34519498190_9202febbb1_o.png

34095672263_8fbce116b4_o.png

I'd be happy to share some detailed instructions, just drop me a PM with your full email address.

BillE507

Forum Newbie
Threads
Robert,

Thanx for posting this!

I've been having to "R & R" the rear wheel assembly about every 6-10 weeks to clean and re-lube (got it down to about 15-20 min a side). Even though I'm still under warranty, I'll just drop the $25 and do it my self to save time.

Some fool over fed the lawn and its mow every 3-4 days (daze?)!

Bill

BillE507

Forum Newbie
Threads
Forgot to ask this last night...How much under size are the "old" bearings? Maybe a better way to say it, What is the internal diameter supposed to be?

I have access to a machine shop and their tools, I may just try and mill them out to the proper specs.

Thanx...

Bill

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Forgot to ask this last night...How much under size are the "old" bearings? Maybe a better way to say it, What is the internal diameter supposed to be?

I have access to a machine shop and their tools, I may just try and mill them out to the proper specs.

Thanx...

Bill

Don't have that spec, sorry. All they tell me is some bushings were mfg. just a bit too small I.D.

BillE507

Forum Newbie
Threads
Don't have that spec, sorry. All they tell me is some bushings were mfg. just a bit too small I.D.

Thanx for looking, much appreciated.

I MAY just try and hone them out about .010" (max) and see it that just may help.

Thanx again...Bill

primerbulb120

Threads

I checked my two HRRs, and both of them fall within the affected range. However, I ordered sets of replacement bushings on 9/9/2016 and installed them, and the issues returned a month later. Were the replacement bushings also undersized?

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I checked my two HRRs, and both of them fall within the affected range. However, I ordered sets of replacement bushings on 9/9/2016 and installed them, and the issues returned a month later. Were the replacement bushings also undersized?

The bulletin says to replace the adjuster AND the bushing, not just the bushing. It it totally possible the dealer that sold you the loose bushings-only sold you some older ones (that may have been undersized). The part number for the bushing alone did not change, although old stock of bushings and adjusters/bushing assemblies were purged from Honda warehouses. Of course, your dealer may have sold you a set he had sitting on the self.

If you purchase the complete adjuster (using the part numbers in the bulletin) it will already have a properly fitted bushing installed. I'd strongly recommend you replace the adjuster/bushing assembly as outlined in the bulletin. A pair of new adjusters/bushing are about $22 list price. See the bulletin for the part numbers, and Google them to find a dealer selling online.

de3

Threads
The bulletin says to replace the adjuster AND the bushing, not just the bushing. It it totally possible the dealer that sold you the loose bushings-only sold you some older ones (that may have been undersized). The part number for the bushing alone did not change, although old stock of bushings and adjusters/bushing assemblies were purged from Honda warehouses. Of course, your dealer may have sold you a set he had sitting on the self.

If you purchase the complete adjuster (using the part numbers in the bulletin) it will already have a properly fitted bushing installed. I'd strongly recommend you replace the adjuster/bushing assembly as outlined in the bulletin. A pair of new adjusters/bushing are about $22 list price. See the bulletin for the part numbers, and Google them to find a dealer selling online.

what i noticed is that a person needs to take apart and clean the keyway and spring in the axle and make sure you can hear it click.....

Themus

Forum Newbie
Threads
I too have the problem with my Honda mower locking up its back wheels when pulling backwards. I have in the not-to-distant past, replaced the bushings with the adjuster arms. Seemed to work a few times while cutting the yard and then right back at the same stubborn hard-to-pull backwards issue. Just recently I took both assemblies off, cleaned the entire gears, springs and assembly and added lubricant. Worked well for just one mowing job.

Weird thing is, I have noticed the wheels seem to roll backwards when sitting in the garage and I need to pull it out to mow. Or sometimes, but not always, when I empty the bagger of clippings.

I have almost sold it. Indeed I had it on Craigslist and couldn't get my asking price so I pulled it off. I have also seen a YouTube video where a post shows my problem exactly and what he suggested was to take it all apart and sand the shaft on both sides where the bushings slide.

Anyone really have this problem and get a long-term solution?

Attachments

• Mower.jpg
    Mower.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 29

wcmiii

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello: I have HRR216K9VLAA S/N-MZCG-9780304 purchased summer of 2016 from Home Depot. Summer of 2017 the rear wheels locked, and following the service bulletin, I had a local dealer fix it for no charge. June 9th, 2018 the rear wheels locked up again, so I took the mower to the same dealer. Dealer called today Monday June 11, 2018, said it was fixed and the cause of the wheel lock, was due to "rust on the diag Drive System." I always clean out the undercarriage after each mowing with water hose and scrubber. After the engine has cooled, I turn the mower over on the right side, cut fuel line off, and I am very careful to not get water on the filter, or engine. I then use the water hose and scrubber to clean the under carriage.

I've mowed lawns for many decades and I have never heard of RUST ON A DRIVE SYSTEM causing the rear wheels to lock up. I have read the recall bulletin and watched a YouTube video on sanding the shaft. Anyway, for $32.00 the dealer removed the rust, and I was told to not get water in the drive system and to use a air blower not hose or pressure washer, which I never have used, to clean the under carriage.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!