Buying Advice Where to buy oil filters

Hurricane99

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Pro Series 8200 with the Kohler KT735 engine. I was wondering where everyone buys their oil filters from. Mine uses the very common Kohler 52 050 02 (Craftsman 24606) filter.
I did a one-time filter purchase from my local Sears recently but won't be doing that any time in the future. Sears wants 17.99 / filter which is about double what I see online from an initial search.
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

RDA.Lawns

Threads
I buy lots of filters a year. I simply go to my local parts store when I need them. Yea I can get them cheaper online but when I need something I need it now not next week.

Hurricane99

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks RDA.Lawns - I did a little more research today and found a locally available WIX filter that is a direct crossover from the Kohler number.
If anyone is interested, the WIX number is WL10068.
http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/Exactmatch.aspx?PartNo=52 050 02

I too would rather buy local than have to wait for an online order. My local auto parts store WIX filters are 1/2 the price of the Kohler filter from Sears. The money I saved will pay for my 2 qts of oil I'll need.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Always be careful if buying things like oil filter on line.
A lot are made in China for companies like Kohler & Briggs.
These get good QC checking before being fitted or sold as spare parts
But what happens to all the rejects ?
They also get sold, to trading companies who then sell the defective filters on line to people who are too cheap for their own good.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I second what Bert has to say. Even some of the major brands will sell the rejects in the small engine market.

turbofiat124

Threads
I have a Pro Series 8200 with the Kohler KT735 engine. I was wondering where everyone buys their oil filters from. Mine uses the very common Kohler 52 050 02 (Craftsman 24606) filter.
I did a one-time filter purchase from my local Sears recently but won't be doing that any time in the future. Sears wants 17.99 / filter which is about double what I see online from an initial search.
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

I'm not 100% sure this same filter will fit a Kohler but these work on B&S engines. I've been using these with no problems:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361359114646?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

There are two types of these filters that will screw onto to most American made small engines. One is taller than the other one. You can use the taller filter on a engine that calls for the shorter filter but not the other way around. The thread on the stem hits the top of the oil filter and it won't screw on all the way. Or bottoms out.

Sears loves to rip people off on replacement parts. I bet they make more money on selling replacement parts than on the actual mower/appliance they are selling! I always try to find out who made it for them and look somewhere's else for parts.

I priced an hour meter for my Craftsman from them at $160. I found a universal hour meters that fits all Husquarna/Craftsmans on Ebay for about $20. I just popped the blanking plug out and the plugged it in. The wiring harness for it was even there!

Even Lowe's and Home Despot is outrageous on OEM filters. I can buy a Purolator oil filter for my Chevy Van for half the price as an OEM B&S filter and an air filter for half the price and the air filter on my van is twice the size!

turbofiat124

Threads
Always be careful if buying things like oil filter on line.
A lot are made in China for companies like Kohler & Briggs.
These get good QC checking before being fitted or sold as spare parts
But what happens to all the rejects ?
They also get sold, to trading companies who then sell the defective filters on line to people who are too cheap for their own good.

Bert, maybe these are the reject filters I've been using?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361359114646?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
As some one has gone to the expense of printing a trading name on them most likely they are good.
Problem ones are always unbranded.
I have been using "branding" as my rough test for years and it has proved to be good.
If I am making / selling good quality I want every one to know & recognise them as being good so I can sell more parts.
If I am making / selling trash I don't want an one to know where they came from so it will be hard for me to be found & sued and so no one can recognise them as being trash.

You see it all the time on evilpay
6 x quality chain saw chains, no close up of the chain and a Stihl / Oregan / Carlton box in the back ground.
So I had a customer come in wondering if the 20 oil filters he bought from Hong Kong were any good, they were $ 30 with free shipping.
Now they were all scratched & dented so my immediate thoughts were cosmetic seconds.
However on close look they all had almost the same dent in almost the same place so we cut one up.
No glue between the filter paper & the base.
Cut up another one , by pass was stuck open.
Thus they all ended up flattened & in the bin.

I play with old British motorcycles and it is fairly common to suddenly find a NOS part every where and then shortly to hear these NOS parts failing because they were a stash of QC rejects that the original owner knew required fixing.
But they died and the parts then got into the general parts stream

turbofiat124

Threads
I have to do an oil change pretty soon so I'm going to cut one of these in half and see what the inside looks like on it.

turbofiat124

Threads
I changed the oil the other day and inspected one of the Raptor oil filters:

IMG_20170620_124610594_zpso32o9zok.jpg

IMG_20170620_124616947_zpsxsce2w6e.jpg

I have no idea if these are rejects or what but the reviews seem to be good. At $3.00 a pop (in bulk), they seem like a good value.