Raptor SD or Bad Boy Elite 54

doosanman

Forum Newbie
Threads
My old Fastrak has given up. The hydrostat is out and it's going to be at least $1,000 to fix it. The parts are obsolete for this model. I'm looking at a new Raptor SD for $4,000. I can finance it through the dealer. Looks pretty similar to the old Fastrak. Found a fellow local that has a Bad Boy Elite 54 with only 29 hours on it. Its a 2015 or 2016 model. He won't take less than $3,500 for it. A new one is $4899 at the local dealer. Which would be best. I have an acreage. It takes a couple hours to mow with the 52 inch Fastrak. Thanks!

gasjr4wd

Threads
New is new. Is that used one coming with a warranty? Why is the guy getting rid of it? Only $500 difference? Again, go new Raptor SD 54".
How many acres do you have? I mow 3, sometimes 5... they never mow what they say but still if you have one acre it shouldn't take you too much longer than an hour with lots of trees. My front yard is over 1 acre and can be done in 45 minutes (1.25 gallons) going the short way (more turns). I can do the rear 1.5-2 acres in 50 minutes going the faster long ways (1 gallon and buildings).
Now - I do wish it had a larger tank and went faster... I haven't even touched my back 3 acres. Kinda wish i got a 60".
Then again, I'd put the $1000 in the old one first.

doosanman

Forum Newbie
Threads
New is new. Is that used one coming with a warranty? Why is the guy getting rid of it? Only $500 difference? Again, go new Raptor SD 54".
How many acres do you have? I mow 3, sometimes 5... they never mow what they say but still if you have one acre it shouldn't take you too much longer than an hour with lots of trees. My front yard is over 1 acre and can be done in 45 minutes (1.25 gallons) going the short way (more turns). I can do the rear 1.5-2 acres in 50 minutes going the faster long ways (1 gallon and buildings).
Now - I do wish it had a larger tank and went faster... I haven't even touched my back 3 acres. Kinda wish i got a 60".
Then again, I'd put the $1000 in the old one first.

I'm not sure how many acres I mow. My whole place is 9 acres, but there is a 4 acre pasture and then lots of shelter belts and buildings. It usually takes a little over 1.5 hours to mow with the old 52" Fastrak we had. The problem with putting the $1,000 in the old one is that I might be doing it to the other side any time. I think the Bad Boy would come with warranty......need to check I guess. It would be a bit more heavy duty than the Raptor.

gasjr4wd

Threads
The SD will not be as fast as your fastrak but still would be fine. you don't say how many hours on yours... not sure what you mean about being more heavy duty. what makes you think that?

doosanman

Forum Newbie
Threads
The SD will not be as fast as your fastrak but still would be fine. you don't say how many hours on yours... not sure what you mean about being more heavy duty. what makes you think that?

Looks like the Bad Boy Elite has 3100 hydros instead of 2800 hydros. Tires are a bit bigger and it weighs more.

gasjr4wd

Threads
...and are the 2800's bad?
bigger tires and more weight uses more fuel to do the same job.
I think the 3100's use a little more fluid than the 2800's and maybe a cut gear vs stamped but really, can you tell? Both have same # valves, etc.
If bigger is better, why not go with the 3400's? (larger shaft) At some point enough is enough.
How many hours do you need to put on a set of hydros for a rebuild. Even then it's a few bearings, gaskets, and oil. Less than $100.
Nothing wrong with the 2800's IMHO.
I'd still think about rebuilding what you have now.

TobyU

Threads
How many Hydro Gear 2800 and 3100s have you rebuilt?

TobyU

Threads
Oh , I haven't rebuilt any thats for sure. Just figured bigger was better in this case.......

I was asking gasjr4wd actually.
I don't know anybody that casually "rebuilds" unitized hydrostatic transmissions with some seals and gaskets for under 100 in parts.

In your listed I like used much better for the 1400 difference.
The engines are a determining factor too.
Let's face it, it's the engine or trans that can be the biggest major repair.
Many bad boys I've seen have the Briggs intek twin. It's not my favorite but keep the oil on the full mark and keep the cooling fins on heads clean and they usually don't catastrophically self destruct.
And with 1400 guaranteed savings to start with your are already more than a complete engine replacement ahead.

gasjr4wd

Threads
I was asking gasjr4wd actually.
I don't know anybody that casually "rebuilds" unitized hydrostatic transmissions with some seals and gaskets for under 100 in parts.

I've watched guys do it quite a few times while we chatted after hours... they said the parts are about $100.
Maybe it depends on what is worn? Also were axle bearings...
IIRC nothing looked hard at all to do...
The guy has sold his business and last I heard, passed. Can't ask details.

point is for what the OP is going to do, there is nothing wrong with the 2800.
http://www.hydro-gear.com/
2800 is the largest residential and 3100 is entry level commercial.