Toro ZMaster Starter Issue

aloagnan

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Toro ZMaster Z400 with about 300 hours on it. I've mowed a few times this year and recently when I start the mower the starter doesn't engage. I just "clicks" every time i turn the key. After a few turns of the key, sometimes up to 30 seconds of doing this, the starter turns and the engine starts up like normal. The only issue i had related to this was that the battery was weak at the start of the season. I put it on a charger for 24 hours and its worked great since. There's a lot of great information on this site, but i don't even what part would cause this issue to be able to search for it. Could it be the starter, the solenoid, or the battery?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Could be any one of those three, plus a couple other things. To me it sounds like either a weak battery or bad electrical connection. First, make sure the battery is both good and fully charged. Second, check every electrical connection you can find, you must make sure each one is clean and tight. First one I would check is the ground cable to chassis connection and then if you have a three post solenoid, I would remove it and clean the base of the solenoid and where it is mounted. This type of solenoid uses the mounting flanges to complete the ground circuit.

NorthBama

Threads
I agree with Rivets from following posts I have come to know this man is very knowledgeable.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Could be any one of those three, plus a couple other things. To me it sounds like either a weak battery or bad electrical connection. First, make sure the battery is both good and fully charged. Second, check every electrical connection you can find, you must make sure each one is clean and tight. First one I would check is the ground cable to chassis connection and then if you have a three post solenoid, I would remove it and clean the base of the solenoid and where it is mounted. This type of solenoid uses the mounting flanges to complete the ground circuit.

Rivets is RIGHT-ON about the solenoid issue... although it MAY NOT be your issue , .. follow his advice, I had your experience UNTIL I added an EXTRA ground wire from my solenoid mount flange ( 3 post model) to the
engine frame (throttle linkage bracket) ..:thumbsup: