Engine Cub Cadet HDS 2135 won`t start

jal540

Threads
i have an old Cub Cadet HDS 2135 with a Kohler Command OHV 13.0 HP engine. I have to charge the battery sometimes to start it, although the battery is only a year old. It would try to start when I turned the key, but it never did. I can only turn the key a few times before the battery needs time to charge.

Now it makes no noise whatsoever when I turn the key, even after the battery has charged sufficiently.

What should I check first?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sounds like your starter is toast.
Take it off and get it tested for current draw.
Apart from that the magic word is CLEAN ELECTRICAL JOINTS.

jal540

Threads
Isn`t there a way I can use a jumper myself to determine if it`s the starter or the ignition switch?

I`m not sure where to place the jumper wire.

Attachments

• Solenoid.jpg
    Solenoid.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 10

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you want to jump directly to the starter, the terminal you want is under that big, red, right-angle boot.

I'd take off the RH side panel first.

The starter cable is too close (maybe touching) the RH side panel. You can fix that.

jal540

Threads
Thanks! I replaced the spark plug and cleaned all the connections between the battery and solenoid. No change. Will try the jumper.

It turns out that the starter cost $250. It`s an old mower. If it's the starter, then I`m probably better off replacing the mower.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not so fast...

You've got an old Kohler horizontal shaft engine for which you can probably still get parts. I have a 2140 and I have had no trouble getting parts for it EXCEPT for the carburetor on its Cummins/Onan engine.

That engine was probably made before the downhill slide in Kohler and Briggs and Stratton started.

Think twice before you give up on it and go with a new one, but if you do, get one with a Kawasaki engine.

Just my 2 cents.

edit: In general, horizontal shaft engines are more durable than vertical shaft engines. Very few new mowers use horizontal shaft engines these days. That's to make them CHEAPER, not better.

jal540

Threads
I jumped from the positive terminal on the battery to the starter (right angle boot). Nothing at all happened.

The battery seems fine. It`s new as of last year, and I measured 12.6V from it.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sounds like the starter itself is the problem.

Sometimes you can get your starter rebuilt for less than what a new or rebuilt unit costs and your starter might be a higher quality than what you can buy.

Look for a starter/alternator repair shop close to you.

jal540

Threads
I replaced the start assembly, and nothing changed. It makes no sound whatsoever when I crank it. I ran a wire from the positive pole of the battery to the starter, and still nothing.

I am at a loss on how to proceed. Thanks in advance

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
So you replaced the starter assembly, with no change?

If you put the voltmeter on the positive terminal of the battery and against the housing of the starter, what reading do you get?