Engine Cub Cadet HDS 2135 won`t start

jal540

Threads
This is getting silly.
If there is 12V on the blue wire going onto the starter then the starter should be energised & turn.
The safety switches interrupt that 12V supply.
The only other thing is a bad ground.

I know, and the ground is good. Regarding the seat safety switch, I have continuity when it is not depressed and no continuity when it is depressed. My understanding is that some of them work that way.

jal540

Threads
Isn't there a reverse movement safety switch? I didn't see it mentioned as testing good.

If nothing else, you can run a bypass wire directly from the ignition switch to the starter terminal that the blue wire is on. Of course, you would have none of the safety switches but who would care?

It`s a relay. I checked it per the service manual but failed to report that. I remember because you can hear the contacts close.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
A relay? I don't understand why a relay would be used because the relay itself would need a switch to activate it.

I have a 2140 and it's a switch on the LH side of the tractor, activated by the rotation of the FWD-RVR pedal rod.

Maybe the 2135 is different.

jal540

Threads
A relay? I don't understand why a relay would be used because the relay itself would need a switch to activate it.

I have a 2140 and it's a switch on the LH side of the tractor, activated by the rotation of the FWD-RVR pedal rod.

Maybe the 2135 is different.

You are correct. The 2140 and 2135 have the same electrical components. The manual shows a reverse switch, but the circuit diagram shows both a reverse switch and relay. (Confusingly, the Cub Cadet parts tree calls it a safety switch, and the relay part number is shown with no label.

I`ll have to look for it.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I think I know why it has a relay.

I disabled that feature on Day 1 of ownership because, IIRC, once the mower was turned off by going in reverse, it had to be restarted by pushing the dashboard switch to the "off" position and pulling it back out. A relay of some sort would be necessary to accomplish this.

Not only was that a colossal nuisance, it put a lot of unnecessary wear and tear on the mower clutch. That thing had to go.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Upon even FURTHER reflection, I think my idea about the reverse safety switch is a red herring. I think it only affects mower operation, not the start circuit. Duh.