Deere z425 Locked up engine

HeiskellF930

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Z425 zero turn mower with 710 hours on it. In spite of good service habits and regular maintenance The motor seized on it this weekend and broke both connecting rods. Engine will turn over but pistons aren't moving. Mower has 710 hours on it. My question is, is it worth putting any work into? I considered buying new Pistons rods and rings but I am afraid that there is potential he a problem that will simply break those once they are installed and the motor ran. I also contemplated just searching for a used motor of comparable horsepower and installing it. Would most vertical shaft motors work or are there specific things I need to look for? Any ideas would be appreciated.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
If the rest of the mower is in good shape, it would probably be worth it to re-engine the thing, provided that you're going to keep it for 5 to 10 years.

You could autopsy this engine but there is probably more damage inside than just two broken rods.

RDA.Lawns

Threads
I'd change engines. When looking for 1 you will need to find 1 with the same crank size and length. The make doesn't matter as much if you can do simple wiring.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Shop around.
The Surplus Center has some really cheap engine at the moment.
As do Small engine Warehouse & Small engine Suppiers.
They are all on the we and some are in the sponsors section of this site.
Just check that the PTO length & diameters are the same.
Nothing else mattersss because if it is not the same as yours, your old parts will swap directly across.
Replacement engines are drop in complete with starters & carbs so it is a really easy job on a ZTR .
Put the old engine on Craigs List, lots or people out there pay good money for engines to pull apart & repair.
And don't worry about engine size, bigger or a bit smaller will make little difference so oft you will find one the wrong price but loads cheaper.
Scratch & dents + OEM pulls are even better value.