Trans Cross brace broke. Anyone else?

mhavanti

Threads
Tom,

Looks like you may very well make that 1000 hour milestone you set for the RSD54.

Max

Johnm1469

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was looking at my SD 54" the other day and it looked like my right rear wheel was angled slightly inward. I got to looking at it more closely and found that the brace that runs between the transmissions had broken at 2 of the 4 mounting points. I called the dealer and they have an improved replacement brace that Hustler has come out with and it's covered under warranty. This must be somewhat common but I haven't found any info on it. Anyone else have this issue?
Well I have a 2015 Hustler Raptor SD 54. This weekend with my machine having only 110 hours,while moving lawn the upper belt just snapped sending wheel at 45 and going absolutely nowhere.. I called Hustler on Monday and had me drop off machine to one of there dealers. Told me parts and labor will be covered. My question is why just not tell me before it snapped when they know it is a problem. I wonder is I caused any other problems when snapping and stopping all of a sudden. Wonder when I will get back machine???

Johnm1469

Forum Newbie
Threads
Dealer wont give me the kit until my original brace cracks or bends..200 hours and it looks good to me,I believe mine is a 2016.
Sometimes the problem is with the bolts. They just snap. Mine did on my machine then it also snapped the transmission bracket in two places. If I had know I would have replaced long ago. Beware

Dale Driscoll

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was looking at my SD 54" the other day and it looked like my right rear wheel was angled slightly inward. I got to looking at it more closely and found that the brace that runs between the transmissions had broken at 2 of the 4 mounting points. I called the dealer and they have an improved replacement brace that Hustler has come out with and it's covered under warranty. This must be somewhat common but I haven't found any info on it. Anyone else have this issue?

Mine broke also on my 54" SD belt flew off and that was all she wrote had to push to garage. Both wheels spread, I will contact hustler about replacement, Thanks

Johnm1469

Forum Newbie
Threads
Mine broke also on my 54" SD belt flew off and that was all she wrote had to push to garage. Both wheels spread, I will contact hustler about replacement, Thanks

How many hours? What year? So your bolts snapped also. See what makes me mad is that Hustler is aware of problem but instead of contacting us they just let us face them after the bolts snap leaving you saying " bleep bleep. Bleep!!!! Mine still in shop. ?? Goodluck

clubairth

Threads
I have posted this several times before but it looks like we have some new people who have not read the entire thread?

Anyone with a Raptor needs these 2 braces installed on their mower.

Hydro Cross Braces-Labeled.jpg

Johnm1469

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well I have a 2015 Hustler Raptor SD 54. This weekend with my machine having only 110 hours,while moving lawn the upper belt just snapped sending wheel at 45 and going absolutely nowhere.. I called Hustler on Monday and had me drop off machine to one of there dealers. Told me parts and labor will be covered. My question is why just not tell me before it snapped when they know it is a problem. I wonder is I caused any other problems when snapping and stopping all of a sudden. Wonder when I will get back machine???
Well Hustler sets up appt which is over an hour away. Name is WOODBURY mower and saw IN CONNECTICUT. What a nightmare. Owner after two weeks cannot even tell me status since he didn't even look at it. When calls me says your not using it now anyway. Anyway a week later says it is ready. I go last Sunday. After getting on my trailer owner says you owe me for labor. I say Hustler told me it is covered. Told him it's between Hustler and you. He charges my acct without my permission of 277$to replace that trans bracket and will not give me any paperwork whatsoever. Called customer service and now they are back tracking telling me we will only cover parts. I ask to speak with manager. After two days a manager calls me. Tell him problem. He doesn't agree with the unit is defective or bolts are inferior. He wants to blame you for something you didn't do. The customer service people told me 20% of our unit have the problem. Manager says 2-3%. Overall this entire machine should be recalled. I have filed with the U.S. consumer protection agency. I recommend all do so. Somebody going to get real hurt. When mine snapped I knew it the me off . Real scary. Just buy your own brackets. Will never buy anything from Hustler or Excel industries in Hesston Kansas ever again. Company is welcome to make it right by posting your side.

Weldon14

Forum Newbie
Threads
Dealer called me yesterday to say it had arrived. after some confusion when I showed up they handed me the still sealed shipping box. It is a beefy part, definitely thicker steel than the original. I still don't like the welds to the spool pieces from the plate, they could have been done much better and more completely and IMHO are the weakest point of the redesigned part (not counting fastener failure).

It came as a kit with a nice tyvec drawstring bag of hardware and a two page install sheet. I'll try to document it before install.
The two top bolts of the cross brace on my 2016 SD 60” are broken and have resulted in about a half to 3/4” separation between transmission and cross brace and of course this has resulted in misalignment that will need to be corrected before bolts can be installed. In my opinion it looks like if I loosen the two bottom bolts, I might be able to rotate the brace upward and into alignment so top bolts can be inserted. Also concerned about if each of the trans should be supported when replacing the bolts. Any comments/suggestions on how to remove and replace the bolts without damaging the transmissions would be greatly appreciated. I would think there might be some good info in the
two page install sheet you mentioned

clubairth

Threads
Can you post a picture?
Hard to say from your description.

The Chairman

Threads
I replaced all of those grade 3 bolts with grade 7 a year or so ago. I still had two brackets on the right side break. Fortunately, the replacement kit was only $52 and the brackets from the body to the axle were quite beefier.