Prime Button

LawnmowerAAA

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey all,

My push lawn mower isnt starting up. I just replaced the spark plug but no go. I did notice that the prime button feels like I'm just pushing air instead of fuel.
Any ideas why its doing this? Im assuming it not getting fuel but dont know much of anything regarding motors. Any input is welcomed.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Lets start with the model, and type of your briggs engine, so we can see which of the 1500 various engines you may have.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
will actually say model, type, code next to the numbers. Could be located above the spark plug, over the top of the muffler, or some of the new engines are located next to the carb.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Lets assume you have the 09p602-0023-f1 briggs engine with the plastic carb on it. That primer pushes air into the bowl of the carb to force fuel up into the venturi of the carb for prime fuel. Make sure you have fresh fuel in the engine. The new engines are fuel quality picky. Then remove the air cleaner cover, and foam air filter. Look into the hole that goes into the carb, and while pushing the primer do you see fuel being pushed up into that hole. if not then dump a small amount of fuel into the carb, and try to start. Does it start and die, start and run, or not start at all.

A no start at all means we then need to check for spark at the spark plug. The easiest way to do that is with an inline spark tester. You may be able to remove the plug and while grounding it to the frame of the engine have somebody crank the engine and watch for spark.

A start and die mean we have either water, bad fuel or a clogged jet in the carb, which will require removing the carb and cleaning or dumping out the junk fuel.

Bwells

Threads
Prime buttons can be found at an Ace hardware store, usually in a pack of 4 with two large and two small. If the button is not cracked, check the point where the fuel line enters the tank.There could be a small crack there.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Prime buttons can be found at an Ace hardware store, usually in a pack of 4 with two large and two small. If the button is not cracked, check the point where the fuel line enters the tank.There could be a small crack there.

You do realize this is a push mower not a weedeater don't you. Fuel line crack at the tank would cause a fuel leak , and the primer in this case has a hole in the middle for air exchange. And I really doubt that it is cracked on a very new mower. Swollen maybe but not cracked. I suspect he has bad fuel. And with these new engines, fuel purchased last week would quality, or the jet in the carb is clogged preventing fuel from being drawn up the emulsion tube to run or even allowing prime fuel to enter the venturi.