Repairs toro recycler rear wheels stripping out

flagrouper

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a toro recycler rear wheel drive and the gears on the wheels keeps stripping out. I am looking at a new mower and wonder if toro has reengineered that design. These wheels and gears aren't real cheap.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Since you don't tell us which model Toro mower you have, they only have about two dozen models, I must assume you have a steel deck model which has a metal toothed drive gear, meshing with a plastic toothed wheel gear. I recommend you upgrade to a casted deck model, which uses metal on metal gears. Model 20381 would be a good upgrade.

flagrouper

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you sir.
My Toro is a PN 20332. Do you think I could buy new tires with metal gears which I've seen on-line and have the same setup as the 20381 as far as wheels go. It's a great mower other than the stripping gears.
Thank you,
Steve

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sorry, I wish that were possible, but no. If it could be done, I would be the first to start switching them over.

jammies

Forum Newbie
Threads
Did you resolve your issue with your toro 20332? I have a 20333 ( six years old ), which exhibited similar drive issues. My problem was due to worn bushings and bearings causing the rear wheels to toe in. Thus causing a misalignment of the drive gears. This problem is exacerbated by the height adjustment lever which puts pressure on the rear wheel alignment.

$15 for bushings and bearings, plus two hours in the garage replacing the rear bushings and bearings solved my problem. There are videos on YouTube explaining the fix.

The SUPER recyclers use a different height adjustment.

deminin

Threads
Thank you sir.
My Toro is a PN 20332. Do you think I could buy new tires with metal gears which I've seen on-line and have the same setup as the 20381 as far as wheels go. It's a great mower other than the stripping gears.Thank you,Steve

I have a Toro 20066....about 8 years old...and it is essentially the same as your mower. I've gotten into the habit of removing the rear wheels, every 3 or 4 mowings, and cleaning out all the old mower clippings, etc., that get into the gears, and then after a good cleaning, I lube the gears with a small amount of grease. It's an easy 10 minute job, and so far, I've had no problems with the wheels/gears.