Hustler Raptor - Won't Go Straight

Georgia ZTR

Forum Newbie
Threads
How can you increase the speed of the hydro's? I have changed the Hydro Oil and filters. Tire Pressures are all at 9 PSI. Still clocking at 5.5 Mph (Raptor SD 48" 112 Hours with 2800's Hydros).

mhavanti

Threads
GeorgiaZTR,

Jack up your mower, with the wheels off, sticks in park, loosen the front nut about a quarter turn, tighten the rear nut about a quarter turn at a time and do that until the hydro pumps begins to creep in park. After you have made the motors creep, back them off a half a turn. Put the wheels back on tightly, lower the unit, run it on "smooth & level" ground to make sure it is tracking straight. Clock it for speed.

Have fun.

Max

Georgia ZTR

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Max!!! Can always count of you!!! Keep that mower CLEAN!!!

mhavanti

Threads
Georgia,

Btw, that isn't the official way to speed up your mower's pumps. Bert will most likely jump in to give you a clearer picture on the way to increase pump pressures thru pop-off valve springs in the pumps etc. Hope so, he is the man on those.

The method I gave you is simply to make both wheel motors drive straight to their maximum thru linkage adjustment. PS. That is all the Hustler dealers are going to do for you and to be honest, good luck with that. lol

Max

Georgia ZTR

Forum Newbie
Threads
That trick increased the speed from 5.5 to 6.5 mph :thumbsup:

mhavanti

Threads
GeorgiaZTR,

Got to tell you something that should make you feel better about that. Although Hydro Gear and Hustler says: "Up to 7.5 mph". In the past year I've clocked over twenty mowers with ZT2800s and ZT3100s and so far, not one 2800 has done more than 6.5 mph. The Fastraks with 3100s, won't do 8 mph even after doing that trick. So, you're doing about all you're gonna get and that fits within the "Up to 7.5 mph". Makes you want the other 1 mph, doesn't it?

Max

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Georgia,

Btw, that isn't the official way to speed up your mower's pumps. Bert will most likely jump in to give you a clearer picture on the way to increase pump pressures thru pop-off valve springs in the pumps etc. Hope so, he is the man on those.

The method I gave you is simply to make both wheel motors drive straight to their maximum thru linkage adjustment. PS. That is all the Hustler dealers are going to do for you and to be honest, good luck with that. lol

Max

Max,

Please do not drag me into threads.
Hustlers are a bit thin on the ground down here & I have never laid a hand on one let alone a spanner.
Hydros are very expensive down here so I do tend to pull them apart rather than replace and while I do like to fully understand how the thing I am trying not to make any worse work, Hustlers are yet to be tortured.

Georgia ZTR

Forum Newbie
Threads
I now have an insatiable hungry for that extra mph!!!!

mhavanti

Threads
Bert,

LOL, surely you'll be in the USofA soon and dead middle of the state of Arkansas which is pretty much dead middle of the USofA. When you get here, there is a Hustler sitting rightchere along with about ten more of them on this block along with some off brands but not many.

I'm still researching Hydro Gear pumps as to what the internals are that will interchange from housing to housing from a 2800 thru a 4400. According to the parts manuals, most of the parts will pop out of a 4400 and slide into place in a 2800. Considering I have no experience in popping them apart, modifying them, etc. I'm looking for a mess of each of those that have been put out to pasture so I can put them on the work bench and figure it first hand.

Some of the things I want to know is: What hydro gear pumps have the exact same bolt patterns although they may have larger axle shaft size diameters, pumps, shock valves, etc.

Anyone with any of this information that would share I promise it will be greatly appreciated.

Now Bert, you know damned good and well pulling you into a thread ain't the worst thing that has happened to you although you haven't yet tortured a certain brand. Between you and I, we'll find a way to torture all the brands if we live long enough. lol

Hope the temps are beginng to warm up down there.

Max

CMOS

Threads
GeorgiaZTR,

Jack up your mower, with the wheels off, sticks in park, loosen the front nut about a quarter turn, tighten the rear nut about a quarter turn at a time and do that until the hydro pumps begins to creep in park. After you have made the motors creep, back them off a half a turn. Put the wheels back on tightly, lower the unit, run it on "smooth & level" ground to make sure it is tracking straight. Clock it for speed.

Have fun.

Max

Max,

Are you referring to the parts #8 and #19 on the previous page's parts diagram?

Thanks,
CMOS