Honda HRX217K5 "VYA" vs "HYA"

skypros

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi folks,
I am going to purchase a new Honda HRX217 lawn mower next week (week of 4/17/2017) and I am on the fence about these 2 HRX mowers.

VYA can be purchased for $649
HYA can be purchased for $729

The difference between the two is the transmission... The VYA has a "Infinity Variable speed select Drive"...... The HYA has the "Hydrostatic"

Honestly I like the way the "select drive" operates...... But I feel that the "hydrostatic" will be less problematic and less costly over time (although I hear that the belt on the HYA is much more labor intensive to replace $$)

any advice..... as I don't find many reviews on the VYA.

Oh, and I will be mowing about 5,000 sq ft of grass.... that will have some obstacles and some tight turning, but is relatively flat. And I need for the mower to be a "walk behind".

Thank You
Steve
Sisters, OR

apwillard1986

Threads
I have an HR215 with the Hydro and both my wife and I love it. If I needed a new mower it would be another hydrostatic Honda. The select drive is not bad however. I used a friends HRR and was impressed with how intuitive it was. I would still buy the Hydro. It is less than $100 bucks on a machine you will own and use for twenty years. It is proven durable and it is exclusive to the HRX and HRC so if you are buying a mower in that series you might as well take advantage of the availability of the Hydro.

skypros

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank You apwillard1986 I appreciate your insight.

I went to the servicing dealers store, and they had all the "residential" Honda mowers in the showroom.... And what I came away with was.... The Hydrostatic was a Better system....

So.... Looks like I am going to get the HYA.

apwillard1986

Threads
I saw your other thread about picking up the HYA and finding a missing bolt once you got it home. Once they resolve that let us know how you like it!

I think you'll be pleased with the hydro.

skypros

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just a Update and small review.
1st off Home Depot took 110% care of me and the problem I had with the 1st HYA.... Honda on the other hand, Well lets just say some customer service and some respect for people that buy your products. If I had know how Honda CS was... I seriously would thought twice before buying my New Honda CRF250L Motorcycle 9 months ago, and would of done more research on other higher end walk behind mowers.

Now..... The 2nd HRX217K5HYA has a slight problem with the wheel alignment.... Picture this, pushing the mower across a LEVEL FLAT surface.... 3 wheels will be in contact with the surface, while the front left wheel is slightly up too high (all wheels are properly adjusted) In an example, if all wheels are adjusted to setting 3... the front left wheel needs to be at a setting of 3-1/8 or 3-1/4 for it to be in contact with a flat surface. I have been told that it really doesn't matter since you are not mowing on a flat level surface.

Added the oil and gas on the brand new HYA..... and on the 1st pull it started right up..... Then surged up and down for about 20 seconds before it died and would not start again.... I pulled the spark plug out and gave a couple of pulls... Put the spark plug back in and it restarted it back up.... and has not had the problem ever since. I guess that the auto choke somehow got stuck.
Now as far as the way the mower MOWS it works great, the smoothness of the Hydrostatic transmission is great and is easy to get use it. It is very powerful and smooth running. I love the "blade clutch" I really didn't want to have to re-start the mower every time I had to pick-up something that was in the way of mowing... But when you engage the blade it does sound like the engine is going to just about die.... and I am sure that is how it is designed, as I have watched videos and that's how the all sound when engaging the blade.

So, in a nutshell..... anyone considering the Higher end Honda Residential mowers (HRX line)..... I would highly suggest that you go all the way and get the HYA :thumbsup::thumbsup: