Cub cadet 3648, PTO won't engage and now won't start

Apat

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 3648 zero turn. I was mowing and I turned off the blades to cross a ditch line, when I came back across I pulled the PTO switch to turn on blades, nothing happened but I did notice on the rpm gauge that it was showing rpm speeds like the blades were engaged. I drove the mower up to my shop and turned it off. When I tried to restart it, I will not start, no click, nothing. I was originally thinking it was the PTO switch so I replaced that but it still appears to not be working, that was however in the dark last night so I will try again in the daylight to make sure I got everything hooked back up correctly. Anyone experienced this before? Thoughts on what I should check next? The mower has never had a problem with blade engagement before this. I had actually engaged and disengaged the blade a few times before this happened.

Thanks

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Check you battery. How many volts does it have?

Apat

Forum Newbie
Threads
Showing 9 volts. I'll throw a charger on it this evening when I get home and see if that makes a difference, it usually tries to hit at least once when the battery is low.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
9 volts is way below starting. Once you get it started you need to test voltage at full throttle. Report back.

Apat

Forum Newbie
Threads
Seems the weak battery was the starting concern. After putting it on the charger for a couple hours it started right up, was just odd because even with a weak battery before it would still at least try once or twice to turn over. The new switch seems to have taken care of the blade engagement problem as it is working now like it should.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
This may not be over. Your charging system may be bad and the reason for low battery and no PTO. The PTO runs off the charging system unless it is not working. When not working it uses battery till it is to low to run it. Battery is not needed to run most mowers, just start them. With engine running WOT what is voltage at battery?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Seems the weak battery was the starting concern. After putting it on the charger for a couple hours it started right up, was just odd because even with a weak battery before it would still at least try once or twice to turn over. The new switch seems to have taken care of the blade engagement problem as it is working now like it should.

As you have previously been advised, check your battery voltahe with the engine running & the PTO turned on.
If it is less than 12.5V you have a charging problem which could be no more then a dirty connection that has just cost you $ 20.
The PTO clutch has a load in Watts .
Watts = Volts x Amps
If volts drop then Amps increase.
Amps = heat
heat = resistance
Resistnce = more amps
More amps = burned out switch