John Deere Eztrak 425 48" won't start w/o assistance

ecszone

Forum Newbie
Threads
My 2010? JD ztr has been a great mower. However since day 1, it has not been the easiest starting motor. (Brigs) Even in the summer less than a week since use, i push the choke on turn it over for 2 seconds. stop, pull the throttle off choke and push it back on choke, then it starts in another second or 2 of trying. Not sure what doing that with the throttle helps. I know if i just stand on the starter intitall it tries a long time before starting if at all. But i just learned to deal with it, not a big deal.

fast forward to year 5 after the winter it would not start. I had not done anything to winterize it besides a little extra stabalizer in the fuel.
Figuring it is gumed up i pulled the carb off and sprayed up in there with carb cleaner. This did not help.
I then replaced the plugs. While they were out i shot a blast of carb cleaner in the plug holes and then it fired right up and ran like there was never a issue. I figured it was the plugs.

Next day, same thing. i pulled a plug out again, and squirted some carb cleaner in again. (i dont have starter fluid) it worked again. This time i let it run for 20 minutes, then mowed until it died completly of no gas. Afterwhich i put in some 93 octane which i just got that day.
Fired right up w/o assistance. (It sat for maybe an hour after the fuel ran out).

I figured i was good for sure now. 2 days later (today) i tried to start it just to see.. same thing :confused2:

i don't know where to go with this. my guess is from day1 my choke was not chokey enough :p (very technical) and maybe now there is something slightly off or gumed up and it can't quite start. it barley tries. just turns over wo any trying to start studdering.

Any engine wizards here that can give me some advice?

Thanks

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Pull the air cleaner off and make sure the choke is actually closing all the way. It doesn't take much sometimes to prevent it from working properly

ecszone

Forum Newbie
Threads
When i pull the air cleaner off you don't really see anything. Nothing mechanical. Not like a car where you see a butterfly.
Maybe im missing it. ill follow the cable, and check the cable .. maybe it needs adjusting. i had not thought of that. Thanks.

ecszone

Forum Newbie
Threads
So you pointed me in the right direction. where the throttle cable connects to the carb stuff i can move it 2/16 further than it will get pushed by the cable. then i started right up.
strangly neither side seems to have any adjustment to tighten the cable.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Picture please.

ecszone

Forum Newbie
Threads
20170412_182521.jpg20170412_182508.jpg

Here you will see a picture of both ends of the cable.

ecszone

Forum Newbie
Threads
No wonder these guys can't start a mower... they can't even use a camera ....( LOL )

That is a strange thing to say and assume. You sound like an idiot. I took pictures last night (not that that's a known requirement to post). I did not feel like logging onto the site from my phone. I been in IT for 18 years, I'm thinking I have a 500% advantage on tech over you. I really don't understand where this comment came from. Reminds me why i don't typically waste my time on forums. :rolleyes:

ecszone

Forum Newbie
Threads
This gif starts with the choke lever fully towards choke.

giphy.gif

ecszone

Forum Newbie
Threads
After seeing that gif loop, i noticed the Torx cable restraint on the carb side. Maybe i can just loosen that and pull the cable a bit. I will try it. I was looking for a different type of adjustment. Like you would see on Bike breaks etc. I may have just answered my own question. If so i apologize.