B&S 18 HP OHV Intek

ilike55s

Forum Newbie
Threads
Howdy folks,,brand new member here,,, I am a sort of "jack of all trades" and been messing with small engines for a few years. I recently came on to an 18 HP engine out of a big Craftsman rider mower. The PO could not get it to run so he he gave to me for parts. Engine has great compression so I thought I'd give it a try. I cleaned spark plug but spark was very weak. I pulled top cover and flywheel contacts were very rusty. I cleaned everything and re-set the coil to specs and now has big blue spark. I also opened the carb and it looked as if diesel had been run thru it,,,diesel all over the outside of carb also,,,??
Got it all lashed up and engine will start with start fluid but stops soon as that burns up. here is my main question.
This carb has a thingie on btm of bowl with 2 wires coming out of it. It appears to be a small solenoid with a spring loaded "seat" on the shaft. Does anybody know if this "solenoid" requires 12 volts for carb to work,,,??? any online manuals for this engine?
Thanks for any help.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
the answer to your question is yes, the solenoid required 12 v to operate and allow fuel to engine the combustion chamber

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Howdy folks,,brand new member here,,, I am a sort of "jack of all trades" and been messing with small engines for a few years. I recently came on to an 18 HP engine out of a big Craftsman rider mower. The PO could not get it to run so he he gave to me for parts. Engine has great compression so I thought I'd give it a try. I cleaned spark plug but spark was very weak. I pulled top cover and flywheel contacts were very rusty. I cleaned everything and re-set the coil to specs and now has big blue spark. I also opened the carb and it looked as if diesel had been run thru it,,,diesel all over the outside of carb also,,,??
Got it all lashed up and engine will start with start fluid but stops soon as that burns up. here is my main question.
This carb has a thingie on btm of bowl with 2 wires coming out of it. It appears to be a small solenoid with a spring loaded "seat" on the shaft. Does anybody know if this "solenoid" requires 12 volts for carb to work,,,??? any online manuals for this engine?
Thanks for any help.

Engine Model, type, & code #s from your engine would be helpful to our search for further info.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Black wire to ground other to 12 volts.
Or you can take it off and snip the plunger off

Sent from my iPhone using LMF