Issues with LT1000 dana spicer transaxle

WayneL

Threads
I have A LT1000 with a dana spicer transaxle. I am having issues with the dana spicer sticking in gear. When stuck in gear, I can turn the motor off, and it no longer sticks. Could it be issues in the dana spicer or maybe the belt too short and holding pressure in the transaxle?

I disassembled, cleaned and adjusted the brake. The Rod adjustment appeared okay. All pulleys look okay.

I recently acquired the LT1000 from someone that should not have tools. I am open for suggestions.

WayneL

Lawn Addict
Threads
If belt is too short, does it seem to still wanna pull in gear ?

The dana-spicer 6800-1 was leaking at the axles on my former lawn tractor. Only good thing about the dana was a refill cap in transaxle top, but had to remove battery then drive belt & pulley to get at it. It got so bad, I would just add STP. Till I got my plan for a Peerless Conversion.

That was easy swap, 2 different pieces of linkage were necessary, but drive pulley fit fine & bolt up was same too..
[h=2][/h]

WayneL

Threads
Thanks for the response, I was beginning to think I have the only dana spicer transaxle.

It does not feel like it wants pull when it is in gear and the pedal is pushed in. My only reason for thinking the belt might be too short is that if I turn the engine off, it is no longer stuck as tight.

My problem is with a Craftsman mower. I have a seven year old Poulan with a bad engine and one bad pulley. Both have the same size Briggs. I can put the transaxle from the Poulan in the Craftsman, or swap engines. Not sure which is easier having never done either one. The wiring could be different. It appears there are only six bolts to do the axle swap.

Whcha think?

WayneL

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
The spicer is the best transaxle.
I believe the belt is to short.
Try shifting while the mower is still moving. I have a spicer on a trail mower. And I speed shift. For years now.

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

WayneL

Threads
I have never tried speed shifting. One of my questions is on shifting the 6 speed transaxles on the fly. When I go out today, I will give it a try.

This mower is relatively new to me, so I really do not know the history on the belt. With the engine not running and the brake engaged, the belt feels and looks loose.

From what I have read, there are lots of negative posts on the Spicer, with the Peerless being favored. Any particular reason you are partial to the Spicer?

WayneL

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Model number of the mower? I'm surprised no one has asked this.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Never mind I found your model number. 917.288250
583332201 is you part number for your belt. Number 411245 should be printed on the back of it.

WayneL

Threads
BlazNT, thanks for the input. I just checked my photos on the Craftsman LT 1000. It is a 917.273370.

LT 1000.jpg

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
138255 printed on belt
532138255 part number.

Found your other post with the other model number. "Thread: replacing dana spicer 6800-1 transaxle in 917.288250"
How many transaxle dana spicer are you having problems with?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have never tried speed shifting. One of my questions is on shifting the 6 speed transaxles on the fly. When I go out today, I will give it a try. This mower is relatively new to me, so I really do not know the history on the belt. With the engine not running and the brake engaged, the belt feels and looks loose. From what I have read, there are lots of negative posts on the Spicer, with the Peerless being favored. Any particular reason you are partial to the Spicer? WayneL
We build mud mowers and pulling mowers. The spicer transaxle case does not break like the peerless. Or break gears.

I know others will say you can/should not shift while moving. They say that because they never have done it.

Sent from my iPhone using LMF