New Greenworks Pro 60 volt outdoor tools

MowerMike

Threads
So, Greenworks has finally gotten around to adding a stick edger to their 60 volt lineup:

https://www.greenworkstools.com/stick-edger-tool-only

They are selling them at Lowe's for $179 tool only and $269 with a 2 Ah battery and charger. It looks like a dead ringer for the Greenworks Commercial 82 volt model:

https://greenworkscommercial.com/us/en-us/products/trimmers-ge-080

Kobalt is also selling an 80 volt version at Lowe's:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-80-Volt-Max-8-in-Cordless-Electric-Lawn-Edger/1000942230

All of these cordless edgers are massively more powerful than the 18 volt Ryobi model that up until now has been the only available dedicated cordless stick edger.

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
.............snip..................

All of these cordless edgers are massively more powerful than the 18 volt Ryobi model that up until now has been the only available dedicated cordless stick edger.

yeah, while my Ryobi is hanging in there so far, it 'feels' like it may not have a long lifespan. I burn thru about 2.5 to 3 batteries to edge my property.

dougmacm

Threads
A lot of deeply discounted prices on Greenworks 60V stuff at Lowes right now … could they be clearancing it all out to make room for Craftsman 60V stuff ??

I've got 40V GW and 80V Kobalt, so an in between battery platform is not for me no matter how good of deals.

Doug

MowerMike

Threads
Reply with quote doesn't work right now, but I'm replying to the above post by Doug.

Anyways, I just bought the Greenworks 60 volt 18" chainsaw, tool only for just $99.50, which is is 50% off normal MSRP. This is the longest chainsaw bar I've ever owned with a cordless electric chainsaw. So, I now own cordless electric chainsaws with 10", 12", 14", 16" and 18" bars. I also own three cordless electric pole saws with 8" bars. I already own the Greenworks 60 volt 21" push lawn mower, 24" hedge trimmer and 540 CFM handheld blower. I also have both 2.5 Ah and 4 Ah batteries.

MowerMike

Threads
So, Greenworks has introduced some new 60 volt tools based on their Gen II "high capacity" batteries that fortunately are compatible with the original generation tools and vice versa. The battery capacity is now based on 90% of the nominal voltage or 54V, so for example, the 2.5 Ah battery capacity is listed as 135 Wh (54V x 2.5Ah), whereas the original battery capacity is listed as 150 Wh. This is now consistent with Greenworks' capacity rating for its 24V, 40V and 80V batteries, as well as most of the other brands. There is also a new 6 Ah (324 Wh) battery on the horizon, which should improve run times on high power tools such as the new 25 inch self-propelled lawn mower. Also, the Gen II charger is now fan cooled, although the current output and therefore the charging times are unchanged. But the most significant change in this new lineup is not technical. I just purchased the new Gen II handheld blower, which has increased the maximum flow rating from 540 CFM to 610 CFM. As you can see from the photos, the warranty on batteries has now doubled from 2 years to 4 years, which is the same as the tools. I've always felt that the Greenworks 2 year battery warranty was a bit weak when compared to the competition, which offer at least a 3 year warranty on their batteries. Another interesting note is that both the tool and battery are now made in Vietnam, not China. I'm not sure how this relates to quality, but this is the first time I've ever seen anything other than clothing apparel that was made in Vietnam.

20200405_203812098_iOS (3).jpg

20200405_203548196_iOS (3).jpg

Last edited:

dougmacm

Threads
I had not heard of this new 25" twin blade mower until you mentioned it here. Looks like it has been out a while as there are already 44 reviews on GW's web site.

Pretty impressive to say the least.

The blades appear to overlap, which makes me wonder how they are timed. Has to be a single motor with a gear box.

Doug

MowerMike

Threads
I had not heard of this new 25" twin blade mower until you mentioned it here. Looks like it has been out a while as there are already 44 reviews on GW's web site.

The blades appear to overlap, which makes me wonder how they are timed. Has to be a single motor with a gear box.

I wouldn’t place too much credence in those reviews, as they are all “received free product”.

Yes, it is a gearbox with four gears, such that one blade turns clockwise and the other counterclockwise. The blades appear to be staggered at 90 degrees.

Last edited:

dougmacm

Threads
I wouldn’t place too much credence in those reviews, as they are all “received free product”.

I noticed that later on but did not go back to see if they ALL were free product reviews. Got to wonder how you get on the "free product for review" deal. You, me and others on this forum would be ideal candidates as I think we analyze things more than most and would supply more valuable feedback about the product to the mfr. than your average person.

Doug

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
I"d like to read the fine print on one of those free product and review deals. Sort of like a Motor Trend magazine road test of a piece of crap SUV and the only thing they could rag on was a cup holder not deep enough.

MowerMike

Threads
Well, I went to the Lowe's website where they are selling the Greenworks 60 volt 25" twin blade lawn mower, and the Lowe's customer reviews from paying customers are less than stellar. So much for the credibility of reviews from people who received the mower for free.

On another note, I was pleasantly surprised to find out that my new Greenworks 60 volt Gen II blower includes a bracket for attaching a shoulder strap. At 8.5 lbs with the battery installed, it is not particularly heavy, but it is severely nose heavy which requires me to twist my wrist a lot to keep the tip from hitting the ground. The bracket is located forward of the handle grip, improving the balance, and the shoulder strap removes all the weight from my hand. This is the first time I've seen a Greenworks handheld blower with a shoulder strap mounting bracket.