Honda Harmony HRB215HXA. Feels like no compression when starter rope is pulled?

HON

Threads
  • / Honda Harmony HRB215HXA. Feels like no compression when starter rope is pulled?
I was under the impression that Honda had free factory service manuals available, but this is all I could find.

https://publications.powerequipment.honda.com/details/61VE2640E5

Here is a free PDF for the engine alone.

http://www.honda-engines-eu.com/shop-manuals?e=0_66&p=all&d=all&l=all&t=all

Thank you Sparkland.

I went ahead and purchased the HRB215 Lawn Mower Service manual from the American Honda Power Equipment website you linked to... and the Parts lists for both the K3 (what I have) and K4 (what superceded my model), as well as the 7 ring binder to keep the three publications neat and tidy. I feel like a fool for spending so much ($92) when it seems like after 20 years, this information should be available online somewhere... but I have found that paper manuals are a lot easier for me to browse and refer back to than manuals that require a computer to be on and running in order to see them.

Plus I've lost a few harddrives, as well as entire computers, to both failure and theft. But no one seems to want to steal books, and books don't have head crashes... so maybe that was my way of justifying spending so much to avoid messing up the lawnmower in ignorance. Not knowing what I don't know is a conundrum.

I did go to the European Honda website and grabbed the pdf file for the GXV140 engine, which saved $39.00. It is hard to read, as the pdf interleaves several languages in between the pages, even though the download section offers the manual seemingly in five separate languages. The truth appears to be that all five links point to the same mulit language manual, which disrupts the continuity of trying to scroll up and down with Adobe's latest version of their pdf reader, wondering if a paragraph in English was missed along the way while wading through the other languages interspersed in the pages. I might end up ordering the manual in print after all.

I did check eBay for manuals. eBay used to present a great value for such things 20 years ago, when dealerships closed or chucked out old service manuals to be replaced by updated ones. But nowadays, ebay has devolved to people selling crude photocopies of service manuals... for nearly the same price as professionally printed and bound versions from the manufacturer, so why give the hucksters on ebay nearly the same amount of money for an inferior reproduction of copyrighted material? (Again, more internal self justification for putting a near $100 hole in my savings to save from ignorance... and most of you probably aren't buying it.)

Thanks again for the links. I'll let you guys know when the manuals arrive.

HON

Threads
  • / Honda Harmony HRB215HXA. Feels like no compression when starter rope is pulled?
Honda put their factory manuals on ebay and Amazon.
They are not much chop if you are not mechanically competiant & familiar with small engines.
A funny format that probably suits Japanese more than English.
I can see you hate working on your mower as the things you were asked to check back then have not been done.

So start by cleaning the mower.
Then remove the rocker cover
Note that Honda use metric fasteners.
Depending upon which variation you have the rocker cover could have a gasket or be glued on with silicon.
When you have it off turn the engine over by hand and watch the valves.
The valves are the same length so should sit at the same height when fully closed.'So if one is stuck it will be lower than the other on the firing stroke.
Back in 16 you were given the possible causes.
1) stuck valve
2) stuck decompressor ( very rare )
3) blown head gasket
4) hole in the piston
5) stuck rings

These have not changed.
Assuming you lost compression during storage the prime suspects are
1) stuck valve
2) stuck rings.

Running your engine dry before storage is always a good thing to do but depending upon your local weather , removing the spark plug and tipping around a teaspoon worth of oil into the cylinder then turning the engine over slowly a few times plug removed is a good idea to prevent rust happening inside over the off season.
It does not take much to condense enough water inside the cylinder to allow rust to happen.

Now if you have problems with wrenching because your 5 thumbs get in the way, no worries.If you do not understand how to do a task we will happily show you.
But it has to be a two way street as all we have to go on is what you type and we read.

Well, I can't recall a time when I have so much appreciated being upbraided.

And I mean that in all seriousness... I really DO very much appreciate all the time that you took to break down my predicament as you have done.

With limited indoor workspace, I'm still hampered by the rain, but when it lets up for a long enough spell for me to undertake the service/repair of my mower outside without running for cover, I will systematically go through the checklists suggested by your post as well as upthread, and report my findings. By then, I should be armed with a service manual to prevent me from messing up.

I've taken things apart in the past, and never put them back together... for numerous reasons... so once I decided to use a different mower to get me through last year, it seemed best to keep my non starting mower in one piece until I can complete the tear down, diagnostics, and repair in one fell swoop.

Thanks again for your post.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A local farmer is having a clearance auction this weekend.
For the past 3 months I have been doing one day a week to get all his old stuff up to running order
Included in this lot is a Ditch Witch M422 that was last used in 1981.
The Wisconsin engine had no compression whatsoever.
So we checked the valves were working & closing fully.
They were working so the problem must be rings.
40 minutes with a hot air gun down the plug hole and enough compression to fire & run.
20 minutes of running had the compression fully restored and last week when the listing was happening the agent almost had a heart attack when it fired up before the whole rope had come off the pulley.
Even more so as it was in gear and started to move towards him ( at about 0.2 mph, they are not really fast ).

If we can get you to tell us what is wrong, fixes are generally fairly simple.
The hot air gun fix is amazingly effective on engines that have been left standing for very long times.
It is quite random.
I can get abut 2 years on non use where I am before something rusts .
A friend right on the coast gets about 3 months if he is lucky even when he has oiled the engine properly .

HON

Threads
Partial update... the Genuine Honda Factory Service Manual and Parts Catalog arrived, along with the Honda branded 7 ring binder I bought to put the 2 inch thick testaments in.

The second HRB215HXA I have wouldn't start (but had good compression, unlike the first mower of this thread), so I pulled the plug wire and plugged in a spark tester, verifying magneto generated spark.

Then I pulled the plug, connected the plug wire, but left the plug out of the cylinder head, and attached a jumper wire between the threaded body of the plug and the engine block. Spark present.

I did this all at night, so that the spark would be more easily seen. Still didn't start, even with fresh gas bought not 2 hours before hand.

Finally, I removed the plug a second time and sprayed one squirt of starting fluid directly into the cylinder from a rattle can. Fired right up on the first pull.

So the second mower is running now, although after using it I feel that the throttle cable assembly is out of adjustment, where "Choke" is never achieved, because it shuts off at "Slow" instead of "Stop".

The first mower... the one that this thread began with... still awaits attention. But I am now well armed with yet unread factory service information before launching my pathetic attack on it with tools.