Picture guide on cleaning a carburetor ?

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
Could somebody kindly tell me how to clean a carburetor ?

Preferably with pictures as I'm as thick as two planks of wood! :laughing:

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
Thanks for the quick reply!

I'll follow that link in a second.

I'm not cleaning any carbs just yet, but in the near future I'll have to clean my Mountfield's carburetor, so I'd better learn how to!

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads

I'm not cleaning any carbs just yet, but in the near future I'll have to clean my Mountfield's carburetor, so I'd better learn how to!

Great...
There are also some outstanding videos on youtube... and a few not so outstanding...
I think you will do great with the picture and descriptive links... :smile:KennyV

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for the quick reply!

I'll follow that link in a second.

I must disagree...purchase good quality fuel, keep the can you pump it into capped, keep the mower fuel tank cap on tight, and odds are you will never have to clean a carb. I have never had to clean anything except a float bowl and main jet on any of my equipment.

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
i just rebuilt my KGRO carb today..and it went fine ..but its best to soak all your disassembled parts overnight in a clean pan with carb cleaner for the best results

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
... best to soak all your disassembled parts overnight in a clean pan with carb cleaner for the best results

Your right, there is no better way than a good soak in carb cleaner...
Spray can cleaners are handy, but the pails with wire baskets inside were my favorite... :smile:KennyV

Black Bart

Threads
I must disagree...purchase good quality fuel, keep the can you pump it into capped, keep the mower fuel tank cap on tight, and odds are you will never have to clean a carb. I have never had to clean anything except a float bowl and main jet on any of my equipment.

I agree I have a JD with a Kawasaki engine and it is 25 years old and I have never done anything to it.

Like you say careful fueling and use Stabil while in storage and I will use some carb cleaner in the spring just to make sure I don't have any gum deposits and it will run forever.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I agree I have a JD with a Kawasaki engine and it is 25 years old and I have never done anything to it.

Like you say careful fueling and use Stabil while in storage and I will use some carb cleaner in the spring just to make sure I don't have any gum deposits and it will run forever.

Hey Bart...
Your right... I have an over 30 year old Cub Cadet with the original carb... never been off, I don't use anything but ethanol gasoline in it, I park with whatever is in the tank at the end of the year, and in the spring it has always fired right... Those older carbs are hard to foul...
The newer ones that I have seen are very temperamental and tend to foul easily...
It is always good to know whats happening inside one if you ever find it necessary to get into it... :smile:KennyV